Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Peacemaker 22

533 6
I have a Colt Peacemaker 22 with 6in. barrel and both cylinders in 98-99% condition. It was given to me by a friend. Shoots great with both LR and Mag.
Just have to use a bit of Kentucky windage.

My question is about the serial #. It's L06xxx. The L prefixs are listed as being made in 1974. What does the "L" means? All the rest have the letter G as a prefix.

Thanks,

Joe A.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I have a Colt Peacemaker 22 with 6in. barrel and both cylinders in 98-99% condition. It was given to me by a friend. Shoots great with both LR and Mag.
Just have to use a bit of Kentucky windage.

My question is about the serial #. It's L06xxx. The L prefixs are listed as being made in 1974. What does the "L" means? All the rest have the letter G as a prefix.

Thanks,

Joe A.
the "L" letter was used for the s/n. unfortunately it was mistaken for a "1" and so they changed to "G".

all it is, is a letter prefix. no fancy meaning from what ive read.

also contrats on the gift.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
G's get mistaken for "6's" sometimes. I often look with a magnifying glass at any letter prefix or suffix. Z's look like "2's". It is not as much a problem with long guns.

No significance as to the L; it's only a letter. But production totals on the L series is a lot smaller than the G's.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wondered why in 1974 Colt had a serial range for the G's and one for the L's.

If I could come across it, I had a book with all of Colt serial #'s and at least with the Single Action Army, along with the dates and sn's, it lists any changes, caliber additions, barrel lengths, etc.. It would may explain the G and the L sn ranges in 1974.

Thanks again,

Joe A.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I wondered why in 1974 Colt had a serial range for the G's and one for the L's.

If I could come across it, I had a book with all of Colt serial #'s and at least with the Single Action Army, along with the dates and sn's, it lists any changes, caliber additions, barrel lengths, etc.. It would may explain the G and the L sn ranges in 1974.

Thanks again,

Joe A.
If you want a good read on the COlt 22s SAAs, check out:

Colt. Scouts, Peacemakers and New Frontiers in .22 Caliber
by. Don Wilkerson.

its out in paperback now too.

If youre going to do any collecting/buying of them, it goes really indepth on them and the variaions down to the grip panels when possible.

youd be surprised how few of some variations were made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.