Sage rats out to 100 yards (feasible?)
Needed equipment?
Budget not a problem

Thanks!!!!!!!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Just to comment that "chinese junk off the internet" is still giving me good service. Here is my amazon history on that.

View attachment 333360

I have done NOTHING to this thing but change the oil....NOTHING. And if you hang around airgun forums you will find those that own them like them and those that don't like them don't own one, and/or bought a $3000 compressor.

I can only relate my personal experience with the one I bought. I use to wright down the time I used it, little note book sitting on top of the water tank. I quit at roughly 2000 minutes. Or roughly 33 hours. That was about two years ago. Figured it long paid for itself.

On a side note to the OP here, there are a great deal of cork sniffers in the air gun world, it is as bad if not worse then the guitar world.....I think worse. Read everything you can lay fingers on, see what people say on a given gun or whatever, and pay your money and take your chances
I’m not sniffing corks or anything else. I’ve been around air guns for quite a while now and I’m quite aware of what you get for low prices from China when it comes to compressors. I’m not telling anyone NOT to buy one, I’m pointing out that there are other options besides buying a compressor….like an SCBD tank. A tank is much more portable, costs less on average, and will give about 95% of air gun shooters a years worth of shooting. If you shoot at home most of the time maybe a compressor is for you. You’ve used that “cork sniffing” remark a couple of times. You might want to give it a break.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I’m not sniffing corks or anything else. I’ve been around air guns for quite a while now and I’m quite aware of what you get for low prices from China when it comes to compressors. I’m not telling anyone NOT to buy one, I’m pointing out that there are other options besides buying a compressor….like an SCBD tank. A tank is much more portable, costs less on average, and will give about 95% of air gun shooters a years worth of shooting. If you shoot at home most of the time maybe a compressor is for you. You’ve used that “cork sniffing” remark a couple of times. You might want to give it a break.
I am sorry me posting up the compressor I bought in 2017 that is still running upset you.

And yes I do use that term cork sniffing quite a bit, I use it on guitar forums as well, difference there is it is being realized that there is a great amount you are paying for in a name.

All I can say is I know how people act when you take an $80 walmart crosman 2100 classic and it shoots just as well at 25 yards as their multi thousand $$ _ usually quite upset. Or that gauntlet, or that Mrod, or that........ So many people see it on a forum as the only way, and new people coming in think they need to drop $2k to get into this hobby, nope and I will fight that tooth and nail, I want more people shooting, as many as possible.

I will continue to sell the positives of what was it now....cheap chinese junk, if my personal experience shows it to be a good product and I think it fits with the users question. I have no time to make people feel good about a $2000 air rifle.

I have a very bad habit (ask my wife) of buying this cheap junk to see just what is what, I want to know first hand, and as a result I have A LOT of junk, my son will get to deal with it all after I am dirt. If it is indeed junk I will be on here saying the example I have is not good, a sample size of one out of who knows. If it is fantastic I will say mine is great, or any other review on it, I will tell you how MINE is. And I will continue to talk about my personal experiences.

And for the record if you cruse over to airgun nation you will find someone that has that very compressor in NZ and it is used in a club setting, they have rebuilt it twice (IIRC) and it is still going. You might need to dig, that review came out around when I bought mine.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
LtCrunch pretty much gave you the needed info about killing power and ballistics of airguns at 100 yards. My PCP .22 Daystate will shoot very small groups at 100 yards if there is absolutely NO wind blowing….NONE. Even the slightest breeze and it all goes south in a hurry. Pellets simply don’t have enough energy at 100 yards to be lethal. Even with a .25 cal PCP you don’t have the power and accuracy needed to count on killing anything. FWIW, there isn’t any “messing around” with a PCP air rifle. It takes about 2-3 seconds to fill it up with very high pressure air from a SCBD tank and you’re good for around 50 shots. They are expensive to get set up with all the accoutrements needed, but are a hoot to shoot once you get set up. I say get one and keep your shots confined to 50 yards or less. At that distance a good gun (like my Daystate) can shoot groups measured in the .2s on a good day….no wind.
Ahhhhhh...wind...I'm using a .25 FX Maverick, well two of them. 25 gr pellets and 34 gr pellets, no slugs, 935fps. Shooting into a good breeze 5mph at 40ish yards and it'll drop 12 inches, from the side it'll move 3 - 6 inches. The squirrels are absolutely safe, getting a clean hit is purely luck. Cost, take the cost of a $1500 air gun and double it, scope, air tank, ok, bi-pod and maybe a rail extension (Maverick), Then some good tools and a chronograph, extra mags, a moderator if it didn't come with one. If you don't have a scuba shop 'close' by then a good air compressor. All of a sudden your wife is thinking of smothering you at night when she sees the bills. 🤣

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
When I said what I said it was more a question in the form of a statement and if read correctly you would be able to glean that how ever, when stating what I stated I said “slug” which no one seemed to get.
I have read multiple post that more or less implied that if they were using a .22lr 100 yards would be fine BUT NOT A PELLET GUN because the pellets are to light and have bad ballistics. Not necessarily here.

when I posed my query I did say slug.
So what’s the difference between launching a .22 40gr slug at 950fps ish and a .22lr at 950fps ish?

Wood Body jewelry Jewellery Font Hardwood

Please, I’m not making a case for shooting chipmunks at a 100yards but the slugs are boat tailed 40gr hp and have a better BC than a rimfire slug.

950fps for a reference only as I don’t know the fps capability of .22cal. Pcp rifles. At 75 yards that will still wallop a bunny rabbit pretty hard I would imagine.
I know at 75 yards I’ll take bunny’s with a rimfire. If I was using a pcp .22 with 40grbthp slugs right at 1000fps plus or minus I still wouldn’t hesitate at 75. Wouldn’t a pcp be capable of pushing that 40gr pill much much faster than 1100 or 1200 fps?

·
Registered
87 Posts
A friend of mine has been asking me questions for quite a while about PCPs.
I usually shoot 14.2 grain pellets out of my tuned, 22 caliber, Benjamin Discovery. He wants to shoot muskrats from 20-100 yards. I told him that I thought he should bump up to a 30 caliber, but, he was whining about the cost of the pellets. He already dropped 2k for a FX M3, so, I said what’s an extra $10-$20 a year for pellets?
Then, he said that from the research he did, if he went to 30 caliber, the amount of extra air used would translate into more noise. I told him that I didn’t know for sure, but I would think that a good silencer would be able to make it quiet 🤔

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Wouldn’t a pcp be capable of pushing that 40gr pill much much faster than 1100 or 1200 fps?
I've seen a few experimental guns that can go that high but as far as I know, there aren't any productions guns available.

There is (or was?) some sort of benchrest class in the EU where custom air rifles are set up to mimic sub-sonic .22 lr. IIRC they were shooting 40 grain slugs at a maximum velocity (their rule) of around 1000 fps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't think about a hand pump, this is not a bicycle pump even if it looks like it. It is real HARD work to hand pump a gun even if the fill is ONLY 2000 lbs. There are "cheaper" compressors out there now, take advantage of that and budget for that from the get go.

My two bits.
The three stage hand pump I got years ago from Pyramid Air isn't that hard to pump. Slow - especially on the initial fill of a new tank, but not all that hard. There's no brand name on it so I can't tell you who made it. Don't eliminate using a hand pump.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with Grantmac, while the wind will play havoc with all projectiles, especially diablo pellets... but 12" horizontal and 3" vertical seems excessive, for a 40yd shot, especially for a 25gr pellet traveling 900+fps.
So while I think that amount of correction is inflated, I am not abdicating to shoot critters at long distance with an air rifle, no animal should suffer. A distance where the shooter can reliably make a clean head shot should always be your maximum range no matter the power level of your tool of choice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A friend of mine has been asking me questions for quite a while about PCPs.
I usually shoot 14.2 grain pellets out of my tuned, 22 caliber, Benjamin Discovery. He wants to shoot muskrats from 20-100 yards. I told him that I thought he should bump up to a 30 caliber, but, he was whining about the cost of the pellets. He already dropped 2k for a FX M3, so, I said what’s an extra $10-$20 a year for pellets?
Then, he said that from the research he did, if he went to 30 caliber, the amount of extra air used would translate into more noise. I told him that I didn’t know for sure, but I would think that a good silencer would be able to make it quiet 🤔
My 30 is fairly quiet, with a built in LDC, come on don't use that dirty word that starts with a S, we don't want special agent whoever (hi special agent) sticking their noses in our airguns.

I would say the 30 is on par with my Mrod 22, same noise. Loudest things are the guns with the "regular" barrel. I think the most loud is a Chief, I don't have a sound meter (just don't care) and I would say it sounds louder then rimfire subsonic out of a rifle. I have some that are so quiet you could shoot them in an apartment.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The three stage hand pump I got years ago from Pyramid Air isn't that hard to pump. Slow - especially on the initial fill of a new tank, but not all that hard. There's no brand name on it so I can't tell you who made it. Don't eliminate using a hand pump.
To tell the truth I have no idea what my hand pump was, it is long gone. I think I am safe in saying if your name is not Arnold mine would have sucked.

I have not shopped them in a very long time, looks like 2017 from the thing I posted up before, it could have changed greatly in that time. Guess when mine bites the dust I will start looking again, issue is the noisy bastage just will not die. A jack hammer is more quiet.

·
Gaucho de Gatos
6,921 Posts
When I said what I said it was more a question in the form of a statement and if read correctly you would be able to glean that how ever, when stating what I stated I said “slug” which no one seemed to get.
I have read multiple post that more or less implied that if they were using a .22lr 100 yards would be fine BUT NOT A PELLET GUN because the pellets are to light and have bad ballistics. Not necessarily here.

when I posed my query I did say slug.
So what’s the difference between launching a .22 40gr slug at 950fps ish and a .22lr at 950fps ish?

View attachment 333622
Please, I’m not making a case for shooting chipmunks at a 100yards but the slugs are boat tailed 40gr hp and have a better BC than a rimfire slug.

950fps for a reference only as I don’t know the fps capability of .22cal. Pcp rifles. At 75 yards that will still wallop a bunny rabbit pretty hard I would imagine.
I know at 75 yards I’ll take bunny’s with a rimfire. If I was using a pcp .22 with 40grbthp slugs right at 1000fps plus or minus I still wouldn’t hesitate at 75. Wouldn’t a pcp be capable of pushing that 40gr pill much much faster than 1100 or 1200 fps?
I did miss the slug part James. Sorry about that!

Really can't comment since I've never tried slugs in my Marauder. Might have to though!

Frank

·
Premium Member
58,032 Posts
Some early testing with my Daystate Revere at 25 yards, mine from the Factory tested @ 800 fps average with JSB Jumbos at 33. something, 40 foot pounds basically, I've not shot it beyond 50 yards out at the club.

As to cost, quality...buy what you like/can afford, I have a Hatsan 44/40 .25 cal that shoots pretty good but is a ugly brick, a Air Venture Avenger .22 that is a shooting fool and capable of as much or more power as the Revere but has a lousy trigger. Also picked up a .25 cal Marauder as it was too inexpensive to leave on the table at a swap meet, almost as accurate as the Revere, good but not great trigger and with its internal suppressor just as quiet as the Revere with its DonnyFL. Buy what works for you, this throwing off on other folks equipment is juvenile whether more or less expensive than yours. I own rifles from under a hundred bucks to over $2000 and enjoy them all for what they are. Ramble over....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I only have a Benjamin pump for my couple PCP's. My Daystate Mk3, 3000psi, is a workout, but for the amount of shooting I do, its fine. I would not want to fill something with a larger reservoir though, not because it,s any harder, just takes a lot mores pumps. One suggestion, don't wait till it's empty to refill. I will typically top it off when it gets to about 1500.

Art

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Howdy James, a couple things to consider. A .22 pellet is not only much lighter than a .22 Long Rifle bullet it also has a much lower (less efficient) ballistic coefficient.

Good read on the subject here: Airgun Ballistics

And then you start looking at pellet drop and wind drift and I honestly don't see anyone making consistent body shots on a prairie dog size target at 100 yards.

And to further nix the notion, a .22 pellet is going to leave the muzzle with only 20-25% of the force pounds of a 40 grain .22 rimfire pill and by 100 yards might not even have enough retained energy to pierce the hide, let alone affect a humane kill.

A fella has to (or should anyway) use the right tool for the job. 🤠

Frank
Hog hunt with the new Benjamin Marauder PCP air rifle. .25 cal air rifle takes down a 100lb hog!
~~~JMJ~~

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the 357 must've hit a rock or at some point a deranged veterinarian installed a steel plate in the pigs skull. While pigs do have a very tough breast plate, their skulls aren't particularly thick. My grandfather raised some pigs for personal consumption and would ready them for butchering with a single head shot from a 22lr... death was instantaneous. I've hog hunted in SC, Ga, and Fla, using 22-250, 260rem and 308 for 100yd an over shots, and a 45LC for up close work. All but one were taken with head shots. The 45gr pill from the 22-250 was traveling around 3900fps and would unwind if it struck a bone or dense patch of cartlidge, but it traversed the entire length of the sow's body, with a small exit wound in the ham. The 260 and 308 were too much horsepower. A well centered, direct facing, shot would cause the bullet to explode upon impact with the neck bone and ruin much of the shoulder meat. So in summary you do not need, in fact do not want, too much power when harvesting feral hogs for meat. A 223, 222, or 22-250 for head shots at distances of 100yds or more and 357-45LC for up close encounters would be my recommendation.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts