Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago you were talking about one of your parishners having some coyote problems and he was going to let you come out and solve it for him.

As I recall, you got a lot of advice and some offers of some calling equipment and maybe an offer for some help.

How did it turn out? Get any pictures? Or did the farmer take care of it himself before you got a chance too? (that would be my luck.)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
So far, PJ and I haven't gotten together.... :(

Work and a few other things have kept us from meeting.

I was supposed to be on voluntary lay-off this week, but since I'm a Union Rep. they told me that I couldn't take it.

We were going to get together tomorrow, but now we can't.

I'm sure it will happen one of these days soon, though!!! :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nope...not yet!

I was at the farm yesterday talking to the farmer and his daughter (we had a big activity out there...bonfire, hayrides, etc) who is in the youth group.

Apparently after they cut down the crops, it has a direct effect on the coyote's path and place that it stays. They have not seen it recently, but they are down to only 5 turkeys from like 8 or 9. And the turkeys have gotten HUGE!

I am still looking at going hunting here in the very near future. If even for **** (racoon), or any other annoying critter that the farmers hate.

I would really love to go Bobcat hunting. What caliber weapon would best dispatch a 'yote (coyote) or a Bobcat?!? I loved the two recent posts that I read about a week ago that showed the Bobcats that Chief and another member shot. I would LOVE know where the nearest place is to hunt them is (I am from Northern Illinois). What state is the best to go to?!?

Thanks for the question. I have another kind member that is willing to borrow me his electronic coyote call. I just might take him up on that here in the near future!

Do you need camoflague?!? Dumb quesiton, but how smart are these wild dogs?!?

Jeffrey

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
What pics of Chief and bobcats? Please tell I didnt see them?

Camo is a must.

The one thing a dog will see before your camo is your movement. He is coming to dinner and he is looking, the slightest movement when he is keying on an area is going to make him freeze, and constrate, if that movement is exactly what his dinner is sposed to be, he will be gone.
Camo is also need to break your outline. A human sitting in the middle of field against a large haybale (one color) and your wearing army B.D.U.s (4 colors or more) is not good.

Dean_311

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pastor Jeff,

Pay attention to the wind. They,(yote's) will try to come in from down wind. Even if it means making a big circle to do it. Another handy tactic is to have some sort of decoy that moves. Pull a string or whatever, this gets its attention off of you and on the decoy. If you use a fawn bleat, or even a turkey call, (yelps followed by putts would be my guess) they'll come keyed up for the kill/finnish. Sometimes it is amazing how fast they come in.

Two people work well with shooter between caller and coyote.

Bobcats don't smell as well, and will respond to the same distress calls that get hungry song dogs. You'll be surprised at what all will resopnd. Crows, hawks, woodpeckers, racoons, even deer. With all those sharp eyes staring at you it is very important that you do not move. Blinds are a plus. Just do not use the same call over and over. They learn quick.

Oh yeah, .223, 22/250, shotgun, .243, all work fine. Bigger stuff is ok, but if you want a good pelt, stick with small and fast. .22 lr will work, just be careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.