Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any feedback on PSA .22LR AR uppers?

They appear to use a bolt similar to, if not identical to the CMMG/RTB bolt, but the price is much better than RTB or CMMG, and they're actually available.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a CMMG .22 BCG kit (and I love my CMMG stuff…Banshee rocks!)…the .22 LR functions like a charm…but accuracy is lacking (rifling twist…my .223 twist at one in nine compared to the BCA upper twist of one in sixteen inches)…I enjoy the CMMG kit but the dedicated upper with the proper twist is superior IMHO ��

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have one PSA 8.5" upper and another on the way. I've had the first one for a number of years and never a moment's trouble. It is indeed a CMMG pattern bolt/barrel.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
At one time PSA was getting all of the 22lr parts directly from CMMG. I don't know if that has changed or not.

And it is no different with the Right To Bear branded 22 bolts and barrels. Those too are made by CMMG.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
At one time PSA was getting all of the 22lr parts directly from CMMG. I don't know if that has changed or not.

And it is no different with the Right To Bear branded 22 bolts and barrels. Those too are made by CMMG.
I posed the question because the first reports of PSA 22lr BCGs indicated they may well have been CMMG parts, but apparently were older, outdated stock in which the extractor and FP were secured by spring pins.

I've never changed an extractor on the line, but I've done it with firing pins.

·
Registered
63 Posts
PSA .22 uppers

I have a PSA 8.5 upper that is very reliable but it grouped like a shotgun replaced it with a CMMG barrel which is very accurate the PSA barrels can be hit or miss.

·
Registered
204 Posts
just a comment... I have had nothing but excellent and expedient warranty service from Bryan at CMMG.... something I would suggest you not overlook trying to save a couple of dollars... regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great customer service is of little use when there are no products available.

I have an RTB upper, and given a choice, another from that company is what I'd have preferred, but I got tired of waiting for them to have a 10" upper in stock, so I'm left with PSA.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I posed the question because the first reports of PSA 22lr BCGs indicated they may well have been CMMG parts, but apparently were older, outdated stock in which the extractor and FP were secured by spring pins.

I've never changed an extractor on the line, but I've done it with firing pins.
Here are a couple pics of my latest (received this month) PSA .22 upper BCG. The pins are not spring pins, the collar and barrel stub are ~0.700", and the back plate is welded, not peened.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Thank you.

Your pictures also show the other frame features of CMMB bolts that don't make it through to all other frames, the forward assist adapter cut, the bottom cut on the backplate, the full auto trip cuts and the drilled hole near the back plate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts