Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Painting Question ?

247 3
Has any of you painted your scope?
Want to paint mine but I'm not sure as to paint getting inside the AO or mag adjusters. I know to tape up the ends so I dont get any paint on the lenses already :D

Can I spray the base coat on then do the details with a brush,or do you suggest doing the whole thing with a brush,base coat too?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I painted my Tikka T3 with Leupold scope.
I roughed up the glossy finish (if yours is matte you won't need to), then masked off the lenses.
Stupidly, I forgot to mask off the power adjustment ring. After 3 coats of paint it turned fine with no problems at all.

If you use spraypaint and put on multiple light coats then you will be fine. If you put on heavy coats I imagine the paint would drip into the spaces and lock up the ring.
A spray finish will be more even than brush on. As to which to use, that is your choice.

If you have low temp hot glue then I suggest putting a bead of it along the power adjustment ring and objective ring. It will keep the paint out fine and when you're done you just pull it off.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The key to painting anything is surface prep. You can't expect a glossy scope to hold onto paint.
Sand it or bead blast it if it is gloss, then wipe clean with alcohol.

If you have concerns about the durability of the paint then the best stuff is a catalyzed epoxy or urethane. Since those are expensive and bake on finishes are a no-no for scopes, then the next best is Krylon Fusion.
It adheres better than primer and after it is dry (it takes a week to fully harden) then it will not flake or scratch off easily. You can put any paint over the Fusion.

I have had no problems with my painted Leupold. I used Krylon primer on it and it holds up fine. If I could do it over again I wouldnt have used primer, I would have used Krylon Fusion because it adheres so well. I have used Fusion on two guns now (including very slick synthetic stocks) and it is very good stuff for simple spray paint. Just make sure you leave it alone to get hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.