Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Yes, the tool makes them better-expanding than factory round noses

All Paco-resized LRs (as well as Shorts, Longs and CB Caps), expand more than in their factory form.

Nastinosed rounds w/some superglue in the HP cavity expand @ .45cal+.

In short, the Paco tool is aiding expansion, not penetration. The Acu'rzr meplat hits with authority, the Nastinose expands most, and the Baby Scorp'n penetrates a little better than the previous two modifications. The round nose (rn) LRs penetrate more than anything I have tried to modify w/Paco's tool.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Test it and let us know

tmo said:
would hot glue work instead/better than the superglue?

t
Superglue GEL, when completely dry/solid, turns to some sort of very hard PVC or something of a soft metal, devoid of elasticity.

When inserted into the HP it occupies the entire cavity and holds the lead around it long enough for delayed or second-stage expansion. This mechanism may explain why it works.

I have no experience from hot glue and what it looks like when dry/solid. If it turns to a solid substance (unlike its pre-heating state) without "give", or elasticity, then it may work like superglue GEL (not liquid superglue). If it turns into a maniable/softish substance, then it may not be suitable for .22 LR reliable expansion.

That's the theory, anyway.

Testing with hot glue will help you find out for sure what happens.

BTW, welcome to RFC! ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
What are you guys shooting into to test the projectiles? I'm thinking about purchasing the tool. The ammo that I would like to modify most are the Federal Champion's. They shoot awsome in my rifle. I will be hunting mostly rabbit with the ammo. Any suggestion on which mod to buy is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't a Paco, yet. However, I use a stack of saturated, used computer paper. The problem is for consistancy you need to make sure the paper stacks are equally wet, all the way thru. If you take the stack out of the water, and let the excess water run off for a while, you'll get more expansion and less penetration. You may have to start out with a stack about 8" or more thick.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I bought the tool because there have been some reports that the Aquila SSS 60 grain ammunition is supposed to show better accuracy after using it. I have so many projects that I want / need to do, this experiment has not yet been attempted. May have to resort to going to a local gun range - have only been to two in my lifetime. :eek:

But even if I didn't buy it for this reason, I own 'a few' .22s :D and I thought it worth it in the long run. And if I stumble on a rifle / ammunition combination that really shoots - whee! :D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Over at the Hunting RFC Forum

cuda shoota said:
What are you guys shooting into to test the projectiles? I'm thinking about purchasing the tool. The ammo that I would like to modify most are the Federal Champion's. They shoot awsome in my rifle. I will be hunting mostly rabbit with the ammo. Any suggestion on which mod to buy is appreciated.
You may wish to have a look at this RFC Forum; Hunting and particularly at this thread: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100875

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.