Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

paco-kelly’s-acu’rzr-bullet-tool

642 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  noremf
While searching for a cleaning rod I found this. I used something similar for match pellets. Does anyone have experience with this? http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/paco-kelly's-acu'rzr-bullet-tool/
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
They basically shape the nose of a .22 bullet.For hunting it would be good,as far as accuracy I,ll stick with the subs.But the tools do what they say and they make a good hp,dish nose and a couple others.IF your rifle or pistol shoots nothing but a lead round nose and you tryed other hp ammo and don't get good accuracy then I guess it would be a good tool to have.Fun to just tinker with I guess.I thought about getting one just to play with but I thought,"do I really need one"? I just don't think the tool can accurize a bullet by shaping the nose when the band of the bullet is what fills the rifling ;) ra-63

· Registered
1,424 Posts
They basically shape the nose of a .22 bullet.For hunting it would be good,as far as accuracy I,ll stick with the subs.But the tools do what they say and they make a good hp,dish nose and a couple others.IF your rifle or pistol shoots nothing but a lead round nose and you tryed other hp ammo and don't get good accuracy then I guess it would be a good tool to have.Fun to just tinker with I guess.I thought about getting one just to play with but I thought,"do I really need one"? I just don't think the tool can accurize a bullet by shaping the nose when the band of the bullet is what fills the rifling ;) ra-63
But what if you can make the band fit the rifleing better? And if you can make the bands all the same size?

· Registered
9,420 Posts
Paco and DRock tools

But what if you can make the band fit the rifling better? And if you can make the bands all the same size?
Bingo on the above post. Relative to additional accuracy, you can make a semi wadcutter which gets you a better BC.

In 2010 and 2011 some shooting buddies and I tested 20 different weapons, with 5 bulk ammo brands using both the Paco and DRock tools. While DRock does not get into the accuracy increase like Paco does I can tell you that for weapons that "like" the sizing of the bands on the DRock will in most cases show significant and measurable increases in accuracy. We shot well over 4,000 unsized and sized rounds over a 7 month period with rigid protocols and the results were:

74% had significant and measurable increases in accuracy.
16% had not changes either way.
10% got worse and by a lot.

Don't get much if any with target stuff though from an accuracy standpoint but do with the hunting noses.

When messing with creating new "hunting" noses both tools create explosive ones. Body shots on squirrels leave only enough "connected" meat that can only be used for stews.

To us (me and 7 shooting buddies) the value of both tools is two fold. First is that you can, after you mess with the different combinations etc., get ammo that comes fairly close to the target stuff at bulk prices. If we were still competing that fact would be very valuable cause we could practice more and cheaper and save the expensive stuff for the matches. Shooten steel or silhouettes are prime examples of more practice at less money.

The second is that for a reasonable amount of time that it takes to resize, you can get better performance, again using bulk, which is very valuable if you got a lot of kids or grandkids shooting. If they hit what they aim at more often they stay interested.

We purchased our own "tools" even though both DRock and Paco offered to send us some to test, and we paid for out own ammo etc. 3 of us now use the DRock and 5 of us use the PACO. Don't read anything in to that that one or the other is better. The concept is what does the job. All eight of us and a number of grandkids use em. Kinda like reloading or bullet casting. Relaxing if you are into that kind of thing and results that are rewarding as well as cost saving. I do bricks on rainy days with some "moldy oldies" on the radio and a couple of cold cokes.

noremf(George)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.