Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to buy a P94S for a while, just can't seem to let go of the dollars that are required to obtain one. I know owning any good 22 is not on the cheap but in comparison to some of the other high end 22's, like Kimber, Cooper, Anschutz 64 & 54 action guns, how do they shoot?

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
The consensus I have in shooting my Finnfires and Varmint, as well as 3 others in the family against all of the others you listed that I own is the Finnfires will outshoot most 64-actioned Anschutz guns. They are equal to the Cooper 57-M's. As far as a 54 Anschutz, sorry, that just ain't a fair fight. The 54's win over Sakos pretty regularly. Others may tell you that they have a 64 or a 57 that will outshoot anything. That may be true. Unfortunately, my experience has not allowed me to shoot them all!

If you can find a Finnfire in nice shape for $1,000.00-$1,100.00; you better snag it fast or others here will beat you to it. Those of us that have them (and many that have had them in the past) see them as an accurate simple little gun. The downfalls are an ejector wire that is a little weak, plastic trigger guard that is chincy and a trigger than is not nearly as easy to adjust down to 1 pound as a Cooper or Anschutz. Stocks with little to no figure are also the norm.

Legal Disclaimer: The above thoughts and opinions are the author's own and are not to be construed as the gospel, an implied or express warranty or the basis for a liquidation sale of any alleged lesser guns. Your mileage may vary and any similarities to real persons living or dead is purely coincidence!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I think VERT hit the nail on the head. I talked with a retired competition shooter that said SAKO 94's were the rifle of choice until the Anschutz 54 took over. I only have 1 Cooper and it is in .17, but it shoots as good as any I have. Our "go to" squirrel rilfes are a couple of P94S rifles that shoot Eley Subsonic in 1 hole at 50 yards. The Annie's are a bit heavy for the 110 lb wife.:bthumb:
Buy one and you won't regret it. The cash will just lose value :D

·
Premium Member
40,033 Posts
I think the Finnfire is probably equal to or slightly better than the Anschutz 64 series rifles. A step up from the CZ 452 rifles. I would not put it in the same class as my Cooper 57 or my Anschutz 1710.

I'd say the Finnfire is in the same class as the a Kimber 22. I have a Sako M-78 that is a better shooter.

I like mine, but I've got more than a few CZ 452s that shoot as well.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
p94s

I like them have a sporter, varmint, and range and would not sell them. How do they compare?? In my experiences they are better than the kimbers, cz and 64 anschutz. Between Cooper, anschutz 54 and sako there are plus to all them. The sako sporter is nice for me because I like to hunt the Cooper and anschutz weigh a couple pounds more. I like my jsr as well it's a decision you must make but I recommend p94s

·
Premium Member
58,706 Posts
The Wally Wayne War P94 Varmint I owned would outshoot every CZ I have, every Quad I've owned (5 in all calibers), and gave my 1710HB all it wanted, watchthewind knew Wally as well or better than I and may well have shot that rifle both while Wally owned it and while I did. It was an extremely good shooter and I should have had my butt kicked for selling it. As Scott said, feed it what it likes and it will make you a happy shooter.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Gerald is spot on. WWW's Finnfire was amazingly accurate. Mine had produced sub half inch groups at 100 yards with Wolf MT on a few occasions. If Sako does things right with the Finnfire II things could get interesting in the world of rimfire :)
I wish them the best of luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just obtained a P94S. I've owned Kimbers and still have a 1416 D HB. The Sako shoots just as accurately as all of them, if not slightly better than the 1416 at shorter distances. The trigger is amazing, as good as the Kimbers I've owned. I can't speak to the Coopers, as I've never owned one.

If I were to be looking for a high end .22 now. I'd go with a 54 action Anschutz or the P94S. Just my two cents... Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a Finnfire that I bought in the mid nineties right after they came out.
It's hands down the most accurate .22 I have ever owned and I've had a Rem. 541T, a few CZs and currently own a Cooper 57 in .17HMR.
I've never owned an Anschutz but know that they are pretty amazing.
I like my Finnfire so much I wish I had bought another when they were still making them to have for a back up.
Mine is the lightweight model with the slim barrel and it also has a nice piece of wood. I believe Sako introduced the heavy barrel model the year after I got mine ( don't see how the varmint could shoot any better ).
I wish you luck in your quest and if most Finnfires shoot as well as mine I'm sure you won't regret buying one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been wanting to buy a P94S for a while, just can't seem to let go of the dollars that are required to obtain one. I know owning any good 22 is not on the cheap but in comparison to some of the other high end 22's, like Kimber, Cooper, Anschutz 64 & 54 action guns, how do they shoot?
I just got rid of my 64 auctioned 1416 D HB. I now shoot a Sako FinnFire P94S. It's every bit as accurate, lighter, better trigger and all but the wood is plain Jane compared to what the Anschutz had on it.

I've owned a couple of Kimber of Clakamas, OR guns. They were good shooters and had amazing triggers. They were just too pretty and fussy for me to keep collecting dust in the safe. I've not had the option of owning a Cooper. The 54 actions from anschutz are very nice, so I've been told!

Consider a CZ 452 or one of their newer ones. I've a 16 1/2 barreled 452 and it was just as good as the 1416, and for the money, it's a winner.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I own a P94 Range, I've had it about 10yrs. You'll love the trigger, of course I have a match trigger on mine but the stock one is ok, also the short throw on the action is nice. Speaking of stocks I'm thinking hard about putting something "pretty" on the barreled action.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I got a P94S when they first came out,most accurate factory sporter I have owned to date I have owned 541S, CZ, Cooper, Kimber none would outshoot the Sako.Now when we get into target rifles like Anschutz 64 HB or MPR, 54 sporters and 54 match it falls behind just a bit in my experience,in all a super accurate little rifle

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just got a p94s hb. Took it out today. It was shooting .3-.45 5 shot groups at 50 yards with Fedral match target and lapua Midas plus. Great trigger. Also it should be a good indicated, as my Cooper 57m cc shot it's best groups ever today. Very consistent .2-.4".

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I am glad your ugly duckling shows promise. Beauty (in rifles) can also be measured in part by the size of the groups. Do you like the rubber butt pad on the rifle that we spoke about? We will talk soon TG.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.