Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well not problems really, just not functioning as it really should. to start with, the slide doesnt lock back on an empty mag, and if it does when i drop the mag, the slide drops. i took a closer look, and the notch on the slide seems to be damaged. the slide release lever is very gritty, and no amount of scrubbing has cleaned it out.
i have the 5 inch barrel, and with the fake compensator attached the screw in tip of the barrel loosens slightly, enough to make the entire barrel 'float' a tiny bit. the only way to tighten that tip is to remove the compensator, so i've taken it off completely. every two magazines, i do need to make sure the tip is tightly screwed in there, but its better than having a loose barrel that sprays the shots every which way.

i put a couple hundred rounds through saturday, and about 400 the week before, so i think i've put about 800 rounds through total, maybe more, i cant remember exactly how many times i've taken it to the range.

i noticed that at close distances, i cant get decent accuracy. but when shooting at clumbs of peatmoss in the backstop (50 yards) i can hit that more often than i miss. funny that i can hit a square foot 7 out of 10 tries but the ten-ring at 7 yards is a chore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm relatively new to the P22 myself but the first thing I do with every gun I have is take the entire thing apart to see how stuff works. I'm very curious like that and if a problem ever arises then knowing the internals and how the operate relative to one another greatly reduces troubleshooting time. I would suggest meticulously cleaning everything to the point of making it sterile. I would then slightly oil all moving parts and make sure to use thread-lock (or other thread locker compound) on the two stove bolts (266 05 12, 266 97 22), the barrel nut (266 10 63), both stabilizer screws and the worm screw. These are just some ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thread lock is good, but don't use red type if you plan on cleaning your gun. Blue is ok (medium strenght).

You could also tighten barrel nut when barrel is hot (let's say 2 full mags rapid fire). Let it cold then nut should stay tight.
If it doesn't work, thread lock!

If slide doesn't lock because of damaged slide, there's not much you can do but send the gun to S&W or order a new slide (you have to switch the firing pin assembly then).
Last option, live with it ;)

P22 is loads of fun! More so with the red dot!

Out of subject: Aeon flux is a very nice anime.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
P22 is loads of fun! More so with the red dot! (Velocipede)

I couldn't agree more.

The best way to sight-in a red dot on a P22 is by test shooting it @ 10meters/yards.

I found this out the hard way, trying to hit a target @ 25 meters. What a total waste of time.

Finally, I think I got it:

1. Move close to 10 or 15 meters.

2. Without a rest, single handed, aiming the rd on a specific point it should print a tight cluster somewhere on the target (maybe not on the aiming point itself, which is normal), but don't loose heart.

3. Achieve a cluster, shooting five rounds (or ten), first. Doing your part helps.

4. Having achieved a grouping, then adjust the rd elevation and windage, just like on a scope (thanks Brookie), using a rest.

5. Repeat part#2.

6. Make further adjustments if necessary, until all shots group well @ 10-15 meters.

7. You are done, and can start shooting from 20m, 25m with confidence.

And that's definetly good fun.

Crete

·
Registered
123 Posts
P-22 problems

If you bought new/as new w/box papers, call the 800 # and arrange for warranty service. if not, call anyway, those probs are warranty work. The pistol is reliable & accurate when working right. I have shot several after being updated, and they rock!
my .02 worth

·
Registered
45 Posts
P22 Barrel Nut Loosening

I have found that a couple of wraps of teflon
pipe wrap tape does the trick of keeping the
barrel nut tight between cleanings. Your accuracy
situation may be more related to sight picture
and trigger handleing.Try shooting groups at
the center of a blank sheet ,rather than a target.
Most targets do not provide contrast for the
best sight picture. I am happy with the 4 P22's
that I have....lookin' for #5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
went to the range again yesterday, did another couple hundred rounds (three or four hundred, maybe five hundred, lost count at some point).

once again, i oculd hit a 1 square foot area in teh backstop at 50 yards consistantly, but trying to get on paper, must be phantom bullets that phase right through the paper. :D
i think i am mashing the trigger pretty hard. when i slowed my pull down i could get 1 inch groups. also discovered that my mashing the trigger can inadvertantly release teh magazine.

i really dont like the rear sights, way to wide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.