Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

P22 problems............hammer falling on ......

862 4
My hammer on my P22 is constantly falling on the half cocked position..........about 5 times per magazine......:mad:

Description of usage........My P22 has about 7-8,000 rounds through it, only fired suppressed (TAC-65), shot almost every day.

I clean it all the time, taking the frame out but NOT apart........that's about it, I do not take the frame apart because I usually blast it with carb cleaner and don't see anything inside.

Do you think it's time to take it apart to clean it more, or is my hammer falling on half-cocked problem caused by something else?

So.........mechanical problem?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I would take it apart completely at this point. Remember to download the P22 Bible for a reference.

When you fire a shot, does the hammer not lock back in the rearmost position? The slide should be fully cocking the hammer of course. You may have worn down the hammer notch or the sear over the years so that the sear cant hold the final notch reliably anymore? or maybe the rear legs of your trigger bar are catching the sear too early causing the hammer to drop. What have you been using to lubricate the inside after cleaning?

M1911 will have a better idea of what the problem could be. But look for excessive wear inside the hammer/sear area when you take it apart.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
When you had your frame out of the polymer housing someone, I said someone had to pull the trigger and overwound the trigger/trigger bar spring. There should be no play in the trigger when it is fully forward. If the spring doesn't keep the trigger bar properly engaged it won't keep the sear fully rotated so that the firing pin block is disengaged or keep the sear rotated where the hammer safety notch will clear it. M1911

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was having this problem also. When loading the first single action shot the hammer would catch on the half-cock notch and not fire. I double checked it was not a mis-fire problem or the safety getting bumped.
I sent it back to Smith and they replaced the trigger assembly. It worked OK for about 100 rounds but is now doing the same thing again.
When it fails triggering again double action will make it fire.

Back to Smith it goes.

Ethan

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts

You must not pull the trigger when the frame is out of the housing or the trigger/trigger bar spring will become overwound and will not exert proper pressure on the trigger bar. If the trigger bar will not rise then neither the hammer or the sear will be properly engaged. To check this you can turn your pistol upside down and look into the housing just behind the trigger. There you will see the square end of the trigger spring and it should be tight against the trigger bar with the trigger all the way forward. There should be no slop in the trigger. You can also see in this picture the polymer magazine disconnect foot that presses the trigger bar down so that you can't fire unless a mag is inserted. Note the marks where the mag lips hit. Everything has to be just right in this little pistol. :bthumb: M1911

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.