Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All p22ers,
I have fired the Remington subsonics.I was wondering is there anything better?More quiet?More accurate?How are CCI Cb longs??? Anyone try these?Do they cycle the slide? Just wondering.It would be nice to find some real quiet ammo for this fun gun!Thanks a bunch!!!!!:D

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Here is a list of subsonics that I have tried and found to work well for your purposes (i.e., are quiet, eject and cycle the action), though some may be expensive to purchase in large quantities:

1. Lapua Scoremax (flawless fodder for the P22)

2. Lapua Super Club (next best)

3. RWS Subsonic (blue box), though a bit waxy. Clean the breech with a toothbrush often, to avoid build-up of wax and the occasional jam).

4. Aguila SSS (provided that the tip is meplat-ed with the Hanned/Beljan tool, to prevent keyholing). Hollow-pointing the meplat produces spectacular results in conjunction with frozen oranges!

5. Eley Standard (very accurate, although a tad more noisy than the others)

6. CCI Subsonic 0057 (made for the European/French market), are also a tad loud, for my taste. These are deep-hollow-pointed, with copper-plated, 36-grain, pills.

7. Eley Tenex (old batch, if you can still find them, not the EPS), but they are very expensive.

Also, fun to shoot at short distances (5-10m), yet manualy cycling the action, are the Aguila Colibri.

I have both barrels (now) and these subsonics work well with both bbls.

Crete

·
Registered
68 Posts
You might want to try the russian "Junior" .22's with the brass case, they are very quiet and work fine in bolt actions, in some semi- auto pistols and rifles they may just about work the actions. I picked up a Norinco copy of the Browning take down @ wal mart's a couple of years ago on clearance real cheap, around $60.00 so it didn't bother me to clip off a few coils of the recoil spring to get it to function the Juniors.
I picked them up in shotgun news for $100. for a case, just stay away from the steel case ones, they will stick in some chambers then you have to pick them out with a small screwdriver.
Now the Aguila .22 super colibri is nice and quiet in rifles, less noise than a pellet gun, but in a pistol indoors its kind of loud for me so for that I use the regular .22 colibri which are quieter. They say not to use the .22 colibri in rifles as the bullet might stick in the barrel, I have tried them in rifles and not have them stick so far. All you hear is the firing pin hit, and the bullet hitting the back stop. Due to their short length they might not feed in some semi auto rifles. But they are fun when you can't get outdoors for whatever reason.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Up date on the Russian "Juniors"

I have not fired the juniors in the p-22 or any other guns in a while.
So I dug them out and tried the in the p-22, they did not work the slide, the same for all my other semi autos except a Norinco take down rifle and my beretta mod. 21. I had forgotton about that, they work fine in a bolt action I have tried but I suspect the rims are slightly undersized as in the semi -auto pistols the extractor seems to slip right over the rims. The beretta design does not use an extractor, just the back pressure to extract the fired cartridge. The norinco take down has no problems extracting them, I remember cutting a few coils off the recoil spring to get them to function along with c.b. longs.
As a side note the Mod. 21 will also eject c.b.'s without any modification.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would have to advise against using Aguilla Super Colibri's unless you carry around a cleaning rod or a pic to get out the ones that get stuck, even though there isnt any powder in them, the primer makes the casing just hot enough for it to get stuck in the barrel, and also with this ammo, beware of it in long barrels, i had a bullet that didnt make it but halfway. (just glad that was the last shot of the day)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.