Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a used 3.5" P22 at the local gun shop. It is in great shape it has not been shot very much at all. I took it out to test it and found it is a sigle shot. So I took it apart and cleaned it and lubed it well. Now only the first round is a single shot. All rounds after the first one cycle well. I was using federal HV shells.
My questions are:
- Is there another trick to making this gun run?
- Does it need to fire a few rounds to break in?
- Is there a brand of ammo this gun likes?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Check the stove bolt. It may be loose. To find the stove bolt (a cross-screw, really), disassemble the P22 by removing the slide from the frame.

Look at the right hand side of the frame, half way, or so.

If the stove bolt is loose, apply some blue Loctite to the threads on the opposite side and tighten it moderately.

If this doesn't cure the single shot issue (I encountered this too, and solved it as described), then remember to tap the loaded clip at the palm of your hand lightly in the direction of the shell (not the nose).

Also try shooting fewer than ten shots, for a while, by loading the clip with just 5 or 8, and see what happens.

BTW, do you have the -A suffix (newer) clips, or the first production butch without a letter at the end of the part # found on the clip?

Yes, it does need breaking in. The more you shoot it the better it behaves.

Mine liked Eley Standard when I first started using it. Accuracy and reliability in one packet.

Now, it digests everything I feed it; accurately too.

I haven't had a single FTF, or FTE, or falure-to-fire with mine (made in Germany H0043XX), except for the occasional dud (Rems only), ammo that hadn't been primed before leaving the factory.

Crete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.