Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I just bought a used P-22 a couple of weeks ago. Today was the second time to range with it and also the first time I tired to fire it in D/A mode. The gun will not fire a round from D/A, S/A works fine. On the unfired rounds there were no marks on the rim from the firing pin, if there were they were very light. Should I just send it in for service? Is there anything I can check before sending it in?

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
173 Posts
You'll need to send it to S&W.

This was a problem that some P22s had for a time.

The actuating arm is slipping off the main sear during D/A and not holding the sear open as the hammer falls. Hence, the hammer hangs up on the half cock notch.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Gonzo, If you don't mind I would like a step by step description of how the actuating arm works. What are the "ears" on there for, what's their purpose?

I've never really understood how this mechanism operates although I've taken mine apart and looked at it a hundred times. I know the rear ears press on something that presses on the sear etc. Explanation please. Thanks! 1911M

·
Registered
173 Posts
Whew, thank goodness I took a technical writing class and have done some detailed legal writing on nuts and bolts issues.

Gimmie a minute or twenty to fire up some illustrations, and I'll write this up. We should probably plan on giving it a sticky post, at least, for all the work its going to require.

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Gonzo, that is A+A+A+A+A+work. That makes perfect sense. It also explains what is most likely happening when a pistol has a problem anywhere along the trigger line. i.e., if my slide continues to get hammered away where the disconnect ears are hitting then one day it won't push the trigger bar down enough for it to disconnect. Many thanks. This is an excellent illustration and explanation! 1911M

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks guys.

Its actually a pretty interesting mechanism.

Technically speaking, the way double action works: gradually lessening the cocking piece to trigger bar engagement right as the hammer spring is loading up to its full weight causes a lot of "stacking" in D.A. Polishing the cocking piece and orange rear of the trigger bar might alleviate this, but I'm not sure.

1917: I'm not sure the slide could ever be worn to the point where there wouldn't be enough "meat" to force the trigger bar down and off of the sear for reset/disconnect functionality. In reality, that much wear to the slide would more likely result in structural failure in the zinc, and cracks appearing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
update?

Hello All,
New guy here wondering about the progress of your pistol w/ S&W. My P22 is suffering from the same issue. Mine is 2ND hand, so no warranty. Before I ship mine off I was wondering how yours is progressing. I would rather order parts and repair myself (if I have to pay) then pay and do without it for untold weeks up at Smith.
When I emailed them about the issue I got a "form" letter back stating if it is a defect and within the warranty period it will be fixed at S&W expense including shipping. When I spoke to a human they said the warranty was not transferable, and any service work would be at a charge.
The thought of paying FedEx both ways, and factory repairs is enough to make my P22 a SA only.
Anyway... enough of my problems, hope yours makes it back soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My P-22 is still at S&W. I also bought my pistol used, when I gave S&W customer service a call they did not ask me if I had bought the pistol new. They just asked for my address and sent a prepaid fedex label to me. Hopefully I will hear from them soon.

Robert

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Call the 800 number, talk to Larry or Jeff. Bet they'll send you stuff. They seem to be awful nice about the P-22 and they should be from all the trouble it's causing. I was thinking about Firestone and the trouble they had because of all those Fords rolling over. Man, guns are so much more of a touchy topic. Do lawyers like to get involved in gun malfunctions/accidents?

An undamaged, unmodified gun that isn't working properly would be a great liability to a gun manufacturer I'm thinking. Good Luck. 1911M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to give you guys an update, I just sent the pistol to S&W for service today. Anyone know how long their turn around time is??
My P22's been back to the factory twice and is in now for the third time. Both times it was in for about 3 weeks. I live in Springfield MA where the S&W factory is, so that three weeks doesn't take into account shipping time. Strangely, when you bring in a S&W pistol for service, those come back much faster - sometimes less than a week. I'm thinking maybe S&W doesn't give the Walthers the same priority that they give their own guns when it comes to service.

Hope this helps.

Scott
Firing Line Design
Firearms-Friendly Website & Print Design Nationwide
http://FiringLineDesign.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
3 weeks and counting

Hey,
Its been 3 weeks(from when you sent it), and no new news....
Is it back yet? Did they fix it? Did they cover it ?

So...What is the story.

Just stressing over what to do with mine (as far as the repairs go), and hoping yours is good. Anyway....please share an update with us.

Sorry for being so obtuse,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update on the P-22

I got my P-22 back last Thursday :) , I just have not had a chance to test it yet. With any luck I will be able to shoot it this weekend, but sat is already looking like a busy day, may sunday. Whatever the results I will keep you guy informed.

Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.