Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent my p-22 back to S&W to fix FTF and also to inquire about some premature slide wear. They sent it back with new safety levers that were extremely hard to activate and a rather crude job of grinding on the top of the hammer.

Called them today and asked to talk with the person that repaired my gun. He told me the reason that the safety levers were replaced was that the safety would engage while firing. I told him that I had not had that happen in over 500 rounds of firing and he stated that it could happen without me even knowing it. I stated that I would know becase the next round would not fire if that were the case. He didn't have much for an answer. The next ? was why the grinding on the hammer? He stated that the hammer would catch on the round part of the safety and probably causes the FTF on the first couple of rounds in the mag. I work behind a gun counter and compared mine to a new one. Grinding on the hammer definately helps on the feed. On a new p-22 you can actually get thej slide to hang up on the safety cam if you try (let the slide down slow). I also asked why the rather crude grinding job (you can still see the file marks). He said that it should be polished and blued. Both of which didn't happen. If you have any other ?'s let me know. We sel a new 3" for $199.00 and a 5" for $249.00.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So this is the reason Walther wants my three P-22's back?

Apparently they want to replace and grind parts. My guns work fine with the NEW redesigned magazines. I was promised new mags months ago and they still are not here. Maybe Walther USA will send my mags after I FedEx them a few boxes of Georgia granite (charged to their account).

It is a shame the way warranty work is handled. The P-22 is a great idea that just isn't going to work due to the idiots in customer service. I doubt it will have the longevity of the PP series of handguns.

The first email reply I got from Walther USA.
Date: Thu, December 5, 2002 2:21 pm
To: [email protected]

Hi,
Unfortunately, we are not sending the magazines out as a replacement. The
pistols are requested back for examination and then test firing. This is
the request of Walther Germany. If you would like to return the pistols,
please see attached for information to return at our expense.
Thank you,
Kf

The second reply.
Subject: RE: P-22 magazines View full header
Date: Fri, December 6, 2002 5:24 am
To: [email protected]

I understand you are frustrated, but we have been directed by Walther in
Germany not to send magazines out without examining the handgun. Again, I
apologize that we cannot honor your request. per the attachement on the
previous email, I attached the instructions to return the pistols at our
expense for shipping. The pistols will be thoroughly examined and test
fired and returned to you within 2-3 weeks.
Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Kate

$700.00 + of pistols, shipping, and FFL fees plus the cost of six new mags at $21.00 each. I guess Walther USA needs some $900.00 worth of shipping charges put on their FedEx account.
That is alot of Georgia rocks. Perhaps they will learn to be nicer and not take their customers for granite.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I get FTF's on certain ammo, incl. the Fed HV Bulk Pack (Walmart).
When I stick to ammo that works, like MiniMags, Stingers, Thunderbolts, & CCI Stds, I do not get FTFs.
What I do experience is random Light strikes, which will go bang on the second try. The light strike casings only have a slight dent in the rims, not enough to fire. I have at least 800 rnds through this P22 since Sept., probably 1000. The light strikes only started appearing in Nov.
After a couple hundred with the P99, played with the P22 during Last weekend outing:
20 MiniMags, no issues
10 Stingers, 2 lite strikes
20 MiniMags, no issues
22 Thunderbolts, 1 lite strike

I wasn't paying close attention to the safety lever. Could it be that it has been moving half way to Safe?
Will check this tomorrow.

From what other P22 owners have told me, the slide wear (which looks excessive to me) is what they call "Normal" wear.

I may resort to calling S&W for Walther Service

·
Registered
165 Posts
New Range Report

I found that on one light strike, the safety had kicked on, but for several others it had not.
With a few ThunderBolts, I needed to rotate the cartridge in the chamber so that the pin hit a different rim spot. Looks like I have a combination of issues, bad ammo plus the safety. Maybe the slide is catching the safety as the slide comes back.

·
Registered
877 Posts
My Decision Is Made...

Thanks for the input on the return from S & W. I was considering returning my jam-o-matic P-22 for repairs. If they are going to grind up the hammer and return it, I'll pass.

The Taurus Tracker or Model 94 are sounding like good candidates for a trade-in deal. Guess I'll visit my friendly neighborhood gun dealer next week, and see if I can dump the P-22.

·
Registered
469 Posts
M. Phelps, trade-in value of a P-22

I bought one last Friday night for $125.00. It jammed alot and the owner was trying to swap it in at the same shop he bought it from. He originally paid $239.00 back in June, a 3.42" barrel model. The dealer quit handling the P-22, did not want a used gun with problems, and offered $75.00 trade in value. I offered $125.00 if the dealer ran it through his books.

After a thorough cleaning, I shot it Saturday. It did jam frequently
with Federal and Blazer ammo. It shot Stingers and Mini Mags with no problems. Using my new style slotted mags, I only had two jams, one each Blazer and Federal. I put about 250 rounds through the gun that day. This gun is close in serial # range to two of my other P-22's.

My advice to you would be locate a new style mag to try in it first,
clean it thoroughly, use potent ammo. See if your problems clear up. I may have gotten lucky with this fourth P-22, but I think it shows all my problems with this model gun are magazine related.

My nephew gets the fourth gun, when I find some more magazines.

·
Registered
877 Posts
$75?!?

JEEZZZ!?! Talk about giving it away. I paid $240 for mine as well. The serial number on mine is A003024. Don't know how that relates to yours.

I suppose I could buy another magazine and try. I'm already out $240. Whats another $20, right? You'd think someone out there would be willing to make a few bucks on the side by converting magazines. If I get another magazine and it fixes the problem, I'll certainly hit the brother-in-law at the machine shop up for a favor.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but I'm real disappointed in this thing. I suppose I've been real lucky that I have around 15 guns and none of them have been a problem. It has taught me a valuable lesson about buying something as soon as it comes on the market.

Still looking at the Tracker, though :p

·
Registered
469 Posts
"Beating a dead horse"

My guns serial numbers are all in the 5600-5800 range (all four).
The new mags work great in all four of these; so I have four guns and two mags right now. Walther-USA can kiss my behind, I am not sending my guns back to be ground and hammered on when all I need is two mags of a working design for each gun.

Someone here modified their own mags, maybe they will read this thread and post photos of their work. Another poster sells the mags for around $17.00, read some of the posts and try to find it. Good luck with your gun.

Overall, I like the P-22's options, size, weight, and design. I would love it if it worked, which it would IF Walther-USA would provide working magazines.

If you contact Walther-USA, ask to speak to Kate Fredette. She is no help, but supervises the dunces who answer the phones.

I might be able to find you a new style mag here in Atlanta, but I did pay $21.95 each for mine. The shop had several but they were a mixture of the old and new style. A friend and I bought all of the new ones. That same shop had three P-22's for sale, and one of them had one of each style mag in the box. I do not know if someone switched them or if it was shipped that way. I found that odd.

I am having company for the weekend and probably will not be back on line until Sunday, however.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, my P22 sn is in the 54xx range.
It came with the -A new mags, so those were not the problem.
I won't go re-hashing the issues & observations I've had.
I like the gun a lot, great companion piece to my P99, so I decided to try out S & W customer service & "Walrep" warranty service, even after reading other owners posts. They have my P22 now, shipped FedEx at their cost (I could not take time off to drive it over to Springfield), and gave me an estimate of 2-3 wks turnaround.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dumped mine

Dumped my P-22 at ther gunshow for $200.00 added $70.00 to it and bought a Romanian SAR 1. Much happier no more jams.....................

·
Registered
877 Posts
hasta la vista, baby (Walther) !!

Dumped my jam-o-matic as well. Gun dealer offered me $175 for it on a trade-in. I smacked down the additional $205 for a Taurus Tracker .45 ACP with a 6'' barrel. I had a hard time deciding between the .22 and the .45. Both are sweeeeet! He told me my new pistola should be here in about 3 working days. I told him I'd be back this spring for the .22.

This was my first, and last, dealings with Walther. If I ever attempt to buy another one, I pray someone will hit me over the head with it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
reply to Pwight:

Nope, an eastern N.C. native. If you have a burning desire for a P-22, at least take this advice-- wait a couple of years for all the lemons to get out of the pipeline. Like mine!

Another problem I had with the pistol was its a pain in the rectum to reassemble after cleaning. Trying to get the slide over that silly little plastic rod thru the spring, then shimmying the slide over the barrel. Finally, I had to shimmy and shake it all about until the slide decided it was ready to drop the rest of the way on. Two seconds to take apart. Ten minutes to reassemble.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Remembering to wear your saftey glasses when working with springs.

DO NOT DO IT THIS WAY BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LAUNCH THE GUIDE ROD. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL.
Take little plastic rod and toss it over left sholder.
Take spring and thread it on to guide rod.
Take guide rod and thread it through slide.
Grab guide rod on OUTSIDE of slide.
Assemble gun keeping a REALLY good hold on the rod.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mark Phelps, sorry for your loss of $$

on the P-22. I have owned nearly twenty Taurus handguns, all but one were revolvers, and they have given me excellent service. I have had seven or eight Walthers of various models, and these will be my last. The P-22 is a great idea that got mis-handled.

I am originally from High Point, have relatives in Rocky Mount.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I agree on the mishandled part

Once they get the bugs worked out it'll be a neat gun. It was a tough decision to get rid of it. But the idea of spending another $40 on magazines that may or may not fix it was too much for me to stomach. I had my eyes on a SW99 in .45 ACP, but not after this episode with Walther/Smith & Wesson.

I've never owned a Taurus anything, but their warranty hooked me. The quality of their pieces has gone up TREMENDOUSLY in the past decade as well. As a bonus, they give a free one years subscription to the NRA with each purchase.

Yep, I'm familiar with both of those towns. Its hard for me to get away from eastern NC. Graduated from NCSU and ended up right back down here. I work in Greenville. Where are you now?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Duluth, GA (Atlanta)

Taurus has a great warranty. A buddy polished a brushed nickel
Taurus #82 .38 special until it looked like stainless steel. He over did it with the cylinder and polished so much away from the stop notches that the cylinder would not lock when cocked. Taurus installed a new cylinder and bead blasted the whole thing, free of charge. The gun was also used, he had not bought it new.

I now have two P-22 pistols. I may have none soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.