Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Oryx Chassis on sale.

1179 28

Ordered one in green for the 457.

Swapped stocks between the Varmint and the Pro-Varmint S.R.

Also, moved the Arken over to the Varmint.

The Pro-Varmint will get the Oryx and the new Arken on order.

Will probably sell off the Varmint stock.
Reactions: Tacoma and 1Merlin
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the entire frame aluminum or is the forearm area all plastic? Looks like a very nice deal....
From the videos I have seen, the whole thing is aluminum. The plastic on the forearm area is just covers that can be left off. The grip can take any AR style grip and the stock is integrated into the frame.

· Registered
213 Posts
I bought one for my howa 223 one thing I hate about it is you can't get a cleaning rod into the barrel unless you take it out of the action the butt is too high and as far as I'm concerned a bore guide is not going to help because as you push it down through the bore it puts too much pressure at the 6 oclock pushing and forcing the brush down into the riffling needs to have a groove wide enough for the cleaning Rod to sit in milled through the aluminium and the rubber.

· Registered
4,143 Posts
I purchased one last black Friday in 2021. I shopped early and was fortunate to get a "demo" for $299 which came with a ARCA rail and a few other items in the box. I liked this chassis quite a bit. Very solid, Decently adjustable, fit the 457 like a glove. I really liked that the panels were interchangeable and that they kept my hands off the cold aluminum in winter months. FWIW, If the Oryx has one negitive it's that it didn't have the same abilities as some of the higher end MDT/MPA chassis that the PRS guys insist on. Of course, that's why they cost $400 and not $1300 too. Long story cut short,
Nature Air gun Trigger Wood Grass
I stupidly sold it off when I went back to a Walnut Varmint MTR stock . I like my VMTR stock but do regret selling off the Oryx.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased one last black Friday in 2021. I shopped early and was fortunate to get a "demo" for $299 which came with a ARCA rail and a few other items in the box. I liked this chassis quite a bit. Very solid, Decently adjustable, fit the 457 like a glove. I really liked that the panels were interchangeable and that they kept my hands off the cold aluminum in winter months. FWIW, If the Oryx has one negitive it's that it didn't have the same abilities as some of the higher end MDT/MPA chassis that the PRS guys insist on. Of course, that's why they cost $400 and not $1300 too. Long story cut short, View attachment 345198 I stupidly sold it off when I went back to a Walnut Varmint MTR stock . I like my VMTR stock but do regret selling off the Oryx.
How did you end up cleaning the bore, as another one pointed out? It appears there isn’t enough clearance to get a cleaning rod in from the chamber side.

· Registered
4,143 Posts
How did you end up cleaning the bore, as another one pointed out? It appears there isn’t enough clearance to get a cleaning rod in from the chamber side.
I don't recall anything particularly hard about it. If memory serves, I used to pull the cheek piece (which I had stacked with O-rings so it went back to the same height all the time), pulled the bolt and ran my Carbon Fiber 17 cal rod in through the breach . I didn't use a bore guide ( and still don't see the need) Pretty much the same process as on every other bolt action I own. That said,, mine was for a CZ 457 ( not a Howa action). there could be differences in how they fit but I don't see how daunting it could be with the right cleaning rod ( with just a little flex) .

· Registered
4,143 Posts
10-4
I did try your link, but maybe I buggered it up.
Will try again.
Thanks
I was just on the site. They are out of all at the sale price but the ODG. That said, you can always order the replacement panels for $35 or paint the panels you get. ( Noticed they are out of 10" Arca rails too.) Not unlike every year at the BF sales. They have limited inventory choices within hours (sometimes minutes). I've found BF is THE time to buy firearm accessories from most major vendors.

· Registered
196 Posts
Just a quick warning...I too have my CZ457 sitting in an Oryx chassis...and the two action screws supplied are too long (by about 1mm).
A quick check to make sure that the front screw isn't bottoming out would be advisable.
The rear screw will just project upwards into the bolt raceway so may not worry you...I filed mine down to keep it flush.
I did email the Oryx folks about it and suggested that maybe they could reset their CNC machine to allow a wee bit less depth of the the screw holes when they bore them. That would take up the slack of the current screws.
Oryx won't be making the screws...probably buy them from a screw supplier in a bulk lot.
Anyway, love my Oryx chassis on the CZ457. Use it for benchrest only, and it sits very well on the Bald Eagle front rest.

· Premium Member
472 Posts
Been shooting a CZ 457 from an Oryx chassis since June of '20. Also ran a Kidd 10/22 from one, but have since sold that rifle.
I like the Oryx. Comparatively, a lot for the money, IMO. I think there's a least a dozen Oryx chassis among the guys I shoot .22 matches with.
All aluminum: Yes,. the colored portions are just panels. They go one with little screws.
Colors: ODG is the standard color. It's fairly nicely looking. But if you don't dig it, be patient. When they catch up, they offer the panels as a standalone option, too. They go about $40 and are offered in green, black and gray. My CZ is wearing the black right now. I've thought of getting a set of panels hydro-dipped, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Plus, I kind of like the plain black.
Cleaning: Just lift off the cheek piece.
Desirable options, IMO: Get the spacer 4-pack if you have a long LOP (I do). And get the tool-less adjustment knobs for the cheek piece as long as you're at it.
Grips: The one that comes with is pretty nice, but I (a) have relatively small mitts and (b) like something closer to a zero angle. I use a Shines grip from Ergo. Runs $18 and works like a charm for me.
Bag riders: You guys ordering now are lucky. You're likely getting the Gen 2s, which have an M-lok slot int the bottom of the butt stock. MDT even offers a rider that will fit. Nice. Us guys with the Gen 1s generally use a 3D printed bag rider attached by way of the buttstock end screws (where the spacers go). There's also Jamer Consuluting, which has a couple printed models for the Oryx.

· Registered
196 Posts
Bag rider?
I had a play with some 9mm aluminium plate and a short piece of 20mm stainless bar.
I think it came out OK, and doesn't look too bad.
Well, for an old guy with a hacksaw and a 1/2 round file to do the shaping I'm happy with it.
Have since bunged a polishing wheel in the drill press and blinged up that alloy plate.
Nice and shiny now.
Works well, and sits nicely in my new SEB rear bag.

Tool Auto part Laptop accessory Machine Gun accessory

1 - 20 of 29 Posts