Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of a new gun for myself, but near the last minute I decided to plan ahead for my 7 yr old son. I really didn't need another gun for myself & this one was much, much less expensive.
So since I had been doing preliminary research the marlin was in the top few on the radar screen. I wanted a light gun, fit for the young shooter. I was also leaning towards the single shot. I have a few foreign guns in my safe & I wanted to buy USA with all that's going on.
I looked at the Henry, H & R, & another or 2. I like the 15 because it is easy to add a scope if so desired in the future. I don't plan to give it for awhile yet. We do the BB gun fairly often.
How is the 15YN & maybe it's big brother the 25N? I think for my purposes it will do fine, which is a comfortable intro to 22 shooting. I can always get a fancier gun in the future if needed.
The gun I was about to get was a tricked out Bushmaster with a fancy sight for about 2 grand.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Well, you did save a few bucks buyin' the Marlin. The 15YN should serve you and your son well for years to come. After he moves up to a full size rifle you can save it for a compact trail gun. I have an old 101 that I won't part with. Its not the most accurate, but it makes up for it in simplicity and reliability.
All you'll need for that 15YN is a good 4X scope and rings and you and your son will have a great trainer/plinker/squirrel rifle. JL

·
Registered
29 Posts
15YN

Muskrat,

Bought a 15YN for my son when he was 9, great little rifle for the price!. I put a Simmons .22mag on it for him and he can shoot 3/4" groups all day at 50 yards. It definitely has a preference for certain ammo, so if you get one try a few brands in it. Someday he'll be able to hand this one down to his son.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.