Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Optimum twist for 40gr .22lr?

1859 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  McBendy_Elbow
Been thinking about adding a Rem 504 HB with the EMC. But the 1/14 twist kind of bothers me for a LR, as I am used to more of a 1/16 or 1/18.

Wanting a rifle though that will mainly shoot a 40gr LR lead roundnose like Win wildcat.

Would a 1/14 work with that bullet length and weight?

Thanks, really love the action and weight of this rifle, and the stock. Locks up tighter then my CZ, Kimber, or even my Cooper, only thing that seems tighter is an old BRNO. But as I have not shot it that twist kind of worries me and I dont have the cash to just buy the rifle to be rebarreled.

Thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7,290 Posts
I don't know why they went to a 1-14 twist in the 504HB. Most target barrels are either 1-16 or 1-17. I suppose some may be 1-18 but would probably be special order. I'm not sure that it's worth the expense of a new barrel if you're shooting Wildcats anyway. Also, you might have trouble chambering a bulk cartridge like the Wildcat, in the Eley match chamber. With that gun you need to be looking at match ammo unless you're just trying to break it in. Then a Win. Power Point or equivilant would make more sense.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh, really looking for a rifle that I can shoot something in the price range of Wildcats in. Weekly range trips get a bit pricey on match ammo.

My other rimfires have allready been though the various ammo they like best, and unfortunately the only one that shoots well with bulk ammo is the CZ trainer, but want to keep it iron sighted. While looking for a rifle to scope atm.

Would like a rimfire rifle with a good action that feels like a fullsize centerfire that I used to shoot alot in .308. Hence the desire for a HB, guess I just need to see if I can shoot one and see how it handles bulk wildcats.

Thanks alot sir.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
dasgreif said:
Ahhh, really looking for a rifle that I can shoot something in the price range of Wildcats in. Weekly range trips get a bit pricey on match ammo.

My other rimfires have allready been though the various ammo they like best, and unfortunately the only one that shoots well with bulk ammo is the CZ trainer, but want to keep it iron sighted. While looking for a rifle to scope atm.

Would like a rimfire rifle with a good action that feels like a fullsize centerfire that I used to shoot alot in .308. Hence the desire for a HB, guess I just need to see if I can shoot one and see how it handles bulk wildcats.

Thanks alot sir.
Sounds like you should already have something that fits your requirements with the Cooper or Kimber. Have you looked at a CZ 452 Varmint? I believe it has a medium weight barrel. I have a 513S that has the same balance and feel as my 722.

I notice you have a USAF symbol by your name.... I too am ex-USAF.... 1961-1965

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Stay away from a 1-14 twist barrel. If you want to know what shoots the 40gr bullet best just look at the rifles dominating the rimfire scene, 1-16 or 1-17 period and they are all shooting 40's. That doesn't mean that a rare Suhl with the fabled 1-14 barrel won't show up now and then. Rem came out with the 1-14 in their 40X several years ago and it was an abject failure. Try to sell a 40X barreled action to a BR competitor with a knowledge of these barrels and the first question asked is, what twist? If it's a 1-14, it's a action to these guys, minus barrel. I own one of each and their names are Jekyl and Hyde, talk about a roller coaster ride :eek: ! If accuracy is your game, look at the guys that specialize in that discipline because they all shoot 40gr'ers and the 1-16 or 17 is king. Why Rem tried to re-invent the wheel is beyond me :confused: .

· Registered
7,290 Posts
cmjr said:
Stay away from a 1-14 twist barrel. If you want to know what shoots the 40gr bullet best just look at the rifles dominating the rimfire scene, 1-16 or 1-17 period and they are all shooting 40's. That doesn't mean that a rare Suhl with the fabled 1-14 barrel won't show up now and then. Rem came out with the 1-14 in their 40X several years ago and it was an abject failure. Try to sell a 40X barreled action to a BR competitor with a knowledge of these barrels and the first question asked is, what twist? If it's a 1-14, it's a action to these guys, minus barrel. I own one of each and their names are Jekyl and Hyde, talk about a roller coaster ride :eek: ! If accuracy is your game, look at the guys that specialize in that discipline because they all shoot 40gr'ers and the 1-16 or 17 is king. Why Rem tried to re-invent the wheel is beyond me :confused: .
Read your thread and Overkil's and see what you mean. Maybe Remington thinks Eley is using lighter lead and their bullet is longer :D :D :D !!!!!!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Doing AF to pay for my current education, will serve after residency. Also did ROTC in college, Grandparem. Family tradition.

Noticed something interesting when talking to remington and researching remington 504 rifles, both the standard and the HB version have the 1/14.5 twist in their barrels.

Want the rifle to scope and to use for informal bench/silo shooting and that will shoot Wildcats well, father gave me about 10k rounds that he got in trade for something.

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Too much "Kool-Aid" ? :D :D :D

You learn something every day ! I, until now, never realized the the 40X was mfg'ed with different rates of twist ! ! ! I must have been asleep OR not paying attention !

In my case, I guess I always figured that the "standard" rate of twist for a .22 40 gr. bullet was 1:16 ...? Huh, I was wrong ?

· Registered
7,290 Posts
McBendy_Elbow said:
Too much "Kool-Aid" ? :D :D :D

You learn something every day ! I, until now, never realized the the 40X was mfg'ed with different rates of twist ! ! ! I must have been asleep OR not paying attention !

In my case, I guess I always figured that the "standard" rate of twist for a .22 40 gr. bullet was 1:16 ...? Huh, I was wrong ?
As I remember, the standard twist was changed to 1-16 when (or around the time) the LR was introduced. Most short and long cartridges had 29 gr. bullets and the twist needed to be increased for the 40 grain. I believe the older twist was 1-18 but I'm not sure of that. I have a rifle (# 4 rolling block)marked .22 long and I'll try to measure the twist in it some time. Maybe if someone out there has an older "short only", they could check their's.
Man I love this tech stuff.... that's why I joined RFC!! :t

· Registered
1,635 Posts
As far as I know you're correct ! ! ! The rate of twist of 1:16 became "standard" with the introduction in the of the .22 lr. in the late 20's/early 30's ? ... I say this as the early Win. 52's, (1919). chambered in .22 shot had a slower rate of twist(?), atleast that's my understanding ...

With all the reasearch conducted by arms mfg'ers (ammunition), I'd have thought the rate of twist debate would have been settled years ago ? ? ?
As far as I know, bullet shape, (bearing surface), of the .22 lr cartridge has remained about the same ?

Maybe somebody out there can shed "additional light" on the subject ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.