Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an anschutz - savage model 54 sporter that just cuts one hole at 50 yards. Right now I have a cheapy 3-9 bushnell on it with crosshairs that look like fence post and it has to be replaced.

I have a few scopes in my radar and I would like to get some feed back on any of them from any of you who have had experience with them.

1. Sightron SII 1.5 -6 x 42 I can't find in my catalog any indication as to how fine the cross hairs are on this.

2. Burris 6x - 32 HBRII superfine crosshair.

3. Leopold VX-I 2-7 fine duplex

I am very interested to hear any experiences any of you have had with any of these scopes.

Thanks,

Ray

·
X-Mod
19,547 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
1. Sightron SII 1.5 -6 x 42 I can't find in my catalog any indication as to how fine the cross hairs are on this.

Ray
The Sightron SII 1.5-6 is a duplex reticle. Thick = 1.32 MOA, thin = .33 MOA at high power. The almost perfect centerfire hunting scope.

The Burris 6X HBR is a very specialized bench rest shooting scope with its AO ability. Not that you can't use it in a general sense though.

The Leupold Rifleman and VX-I scopes are good solid scopes, but there are much better value scopes in that price range, such as a discontinued Browning 2-7x 32mm for $114, available at Natchez, a LOW built to Bushnell Elite 3200 standards, without Rainguard, but Fully Multicoated, versus the VXI being only multicoated. Other better value scopes are the Weaver RV7.

I too would like to know what you plan to use the scope for: hunting , casual target/plinking, competition?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys,

Mostly what I use this Anschutz for is weeding the dandelions and rat tails out of the folks yard. My dad, my brother and I get together at the folks house and see who can cut them down the farthest. We also strike matches, and shoot groups on paper. Sometimes we hunt bugs (that's real varmint shooting:bthumb: )

My dad has a Weaver T6 on his Mauser sporter 22 and it is just about perfect for what I want. I called one of my suppliers earlier today and was told those were discontinued and they had just clearance them out. Talk about bad timing.

Mostly this is a toy that allows me to enjoy time with my dad but I probably would pop a few squirrels with it now and then. It does not bother me at all to squirrel hunt with his gun using that Weaver T6. The cross hairs in it are fine but I can still find them against the wooded background. If I could find something similar to that I would be happy.

I do want something in the 6x power range though. I don't think I would be satisfied very long with a fixed 4x.

Again thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
58,699 Posts
Not one that you named but I just purchased a Sightron S1 3-9 Rimfire which is Japanese made, has a moderately fine single width cross hair, for $120 from Midway. I've been wanting to try their and Clearidges' offerings. Just another to consider.

Gerald

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Leupold usually is the shortest and lightest in relation to power and always has the greatest range of internal adjustment, with the best resale value. This is enough for me to consider no other scope although there are excellent products by Nikon and Burris.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Thanks for the help guys,

Mostly what I use this Anschutz for is weeding the dandelions and rat tails out of the folks yard. My dad, my brother and I get together at the folks house and see who can cut them down the farthest. We also strike matches, and shoot groups on paper. Sometimes we hunt bugs (that's real varmint shooting:bthumb: )

Ray
It sounds like you might do best with a small general purpose scope, rather than a pure hunting scope. Here are my picks. All very light weight, under 12 inches long.

1. Leupold 3-9X EFR AO, $300 - $350, the gold standard for 3-9x AO scopes, highly recommended if money is not an issue, no target knobs, however 3rd party knobs exist, at least $100 of cost is being paid for Leupold service, Leupold resale, and Leupold name if that is important to you.
2. Clearidge RM 3-9X AO, LOW Japanese made scope, about $210, Best buy when compared to Leupold EFR's rather hefty price, comes with resetable target knobs, available in fine and duplex reticles,
3. Weaver RV9 3-9X AO, about $200, LOW made, similar to Clearidge RM, but without target knobs,
4. The wild card, Burris Timberline 4.5-14x AO, about $190, will probably start shipping by end of April, replaces current Burris ShortMag, made in Philippines, for person desiring a bit more power for target work, while still maintaining a short tube size, optional Burris Ballistic Plex reticles available.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I made a decision and ordered two scopes.

I ordered the Burris HBR II and a Weaver 3-9 X 32mm AO Classic Rimfire. I figure I will put the one I like the best on the current anschutz 54 and I will put the other one on either the 17mk2 contender carbine I recently bought or the anschutz 64 sporter I am working on now.

Thanks for your input guys

Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.