Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any opinions whether or not Greasy German RWS/ Geco ammo causes any problems or more Frequent Cleaning Of The Tube in Guns like Marlin 39A's etc ?

I have a Decent supply of Very Accurate & great functioning Geco that is very greasy has anybody got experience shooting primarily Greasy ammo thru a Marlin Type gun

I am hoping to be shooting Many Bricks in the Marlin starting in the Spring of 2022
Please post any info here thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have shot little of the greasy ammo, so I can only speculate - But if anything maybe more frequent cleaning. Most of my 39’s just get an occasional hit with a bore snake, and if I get chambering issues I’ll brake it down and do a more thorough cleaning. You may have to watch the mag tube - you may get some of the greasy hanging around in there. With shooting the “dry” ammo, I can’t remember the last time I cleaned a mag tube. Now we wait for a few experienced greasy ammo folks to weigh in LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks .. Thats exactly what I was Wondering About was the Tube being gummed up and requiring more frequent cleaning... until now I have been mostly shooting dry ammo but only have a few bricks left

·
Registered
358 Posts
Would be a good opportunity to see if it causes problems and how long to get there. You may be surprised. These little rifles are typically pretty tolerant

·
Premium Member
10,620 Posts
Not an issue, yoor dry ammo has wax on it , just clean the tbe and the follower iinsid and out wwith Hornady one shot dri lube/ cleaner. Before you start.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use Norm Match 22. Have not had an issue in several years of use.
I run a patch down the inside and outside mag tubes when cleaning.
One cleans their rifle right. Never noticed a build up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I clean the magazine once in a while, by pushing a patch through it. But only once a year, or so. I shoot cci standard in my older 39 and SK standard in the newer model. No issues with either rifle.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Non issue. The greasy ammo shoots great but is difficult to handle during warm/hot weather.
+1 on that. I discovered the Geco ammo which I believe is RWS, and bough a few cases of the optimized for bolt action rifle version, which works fine in my Marlin 39a, Ruger10 22's and my S&W M 41.

The warmer it get, the slicker it seems, but shoots great.

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
Not an issue, yoor dry ammo has wax on it , just clean the tbe and the follower iinsid and out wwith Hornady one shot dri lube/ cleaner. Before you start.
I would never use this for preventing gumming. I use this One Shot on my high power cases for case lube, then it gets wiped off. Maybe some Birchwood Casey dry moly lube on a patch run down the tube would not hurt a thing. That One Shot is not a dry lube. It stays tacky.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
+1 on that. I discovered the Geco ammo which I believe is RWS, and bough a few cases of the optimized for bolt action rifle version, which works fine in my Marlin 39a, Ruger10 22's and my S&W M 41.

The warmer it get, the slicker it seems, but shoots great.

:yeahthat: YUP!~~~ Slips thru the Air Quicker!!!;):rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
30,686 Posts
I regularly clean the magazine tubes in my rifles. They get cleaned every 3rd or 4th time I clean the rifle. I really don’t keep exact track, but when the receiver needs a good cleaning, the magazine tube also gets cleaned.

I have bought used, tube fed rifles where the magazine tubes obviously had never been cleaned. They aren’t that difficult to clean.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I regularly clean the magazine tubes in my rifles. They get cleaned every 3rd or 4th time I clean the rifle. I really don't keep exact track, but when the receiver needs a good cleaning, the magazine tube also gets cleaned.

I have bought used, tube fed rifles where the magazine tubes obviously had never been cleaned. They aren't that difficult to clean.
Do you mean the outer, visible tube under the barrel or the inner brass tube with the spring and follower? On my cicra 1952 39a the outer tube has been cleaned two or three times, the inner probably about the same and really not much residue/grime in it at any time. It was probably 20 years for the first cleaning after dad sent it home with me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Both. Whenever you clean the outer tube, wipe down the inner tube. If the magazine tube needs cleaning before you get around to it, you’ll feel it every time you move the inner tube.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Both. Whenever you clean the outer tube, wipe down the inner tube. If the magazine tube needs cleaning before you get around to it, you'll feel it every time you move the inner tube.

That's a given, I have and not very often, taken a cleaning rod with a slotted tip and a tight fitting patch with some solvent and pushed it into the inner tube, against the follower, and cleaned some accumulated dirt out. It really takes a long time for that to get dirty and it is mostly wax and some lead which basically acts like a lubricant anyway.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Both. Whenever you clean the outer tube, wipe down the inner tube. If the magazine tube needs cleaning before you get around to it, you'll feel it every time you move the inner tube.

That's a given, I have and not very often, taken a cleaning rod with a slotted tip and a tight fitting patch with some solvent and pushed it into the inner tube, against the follower, and cleaned some accumulated dirt out. It really takes a long time for that to get dirty and it is mostly wax and some lead which basically acts like a lubricant anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would be a good opportunity to see if it causes problems and how long to get there. You may be surprised. These little rifles are typically pretty tolerant

I don't see an issue that a patch on a rod won't cure. If loading and shooting in a dust storm it may not be good as the grease will pick up dirt and imbed in the bullets scoring the bore.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't see an issue that a patch on a rod won't cure. If loading and shooting in a dust storm it may not be good as the grease will pick up dirt and imbed in the bullets scoring the bore.
I tend to hunker down in dust storms. The sand gets in my eyes and i can't see the target. Not to mention the impact on my face with the sand imbedding into my skin. ;) As far as greasy ammo Norma Tac-22 is bad for me. Gets so bad won't even hardly slide down the mag tube after a while.

·
Premium Member
10,620 Posts
I would never use this for preventing gumming. I use this One Shot on my high power cases for case lube, then it gets wiped off. Maybe some Birchwood Casey dry moly lube on a patch run down the tube would not hurt a thing. That One Shot is not a dry lube. It stays tacky.
This is not that

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tend to hunker down in dust storms. The sand gets in my eyes and i can't see the target. Not to mention the impact on my face with the sand imbedding into my skin. ;) As far as greasy ammo Norma Tac-22 is bad for me. Gets so bad won't even hardly slide down the mag tube after a while.
Theres always that rod and patch after you're done shooting. Only takes a minute to do some maintenance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts