Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a .22 pistol, and was hoping for some opinions on what's out there. I just got rid of my S&W 22A, loved the accuracy, hated the grip, so that one is out. I would like to stay under $300 and I want something that is easy to mount a red dot on. I love the look of the Beretta Neo, but I've read alot of bad things about it. The Rugers are the easiest to find, but everyone has one of those and I try to be different. Any ideas?

·
Registered
685 Posts
they are popular for a reason

In that price range, go with the Ruger Mk II. One of the nice things about them is you can find aftermarket grips scope mounts etc in a rainbow of flavors to personalize it. The other nice thing about them is that they are made to last forever. I'm yet to be convinced of that with these new alloy and plastic guns.

BTW, I took an old $150 beater MK II shot it a few years then had Volquartsen make it REAL different :)

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I have a Walther p22, and a Ruger MKII Target 4" bull. The ruger will shoot circles around the walther, it's short and easy to carry also. If I was buying a pistol, I would get a Ruger MKII Target with bull barrel(they also have adj sights) for the money it's a hard gun to beat. I have had some of the regular "pencil" barrel models with fixed sights, in my findings they do not compare to the Target bull barrle models , and I do love the adj sights.

I'm new to this forum, I try to lay back for a bit before I start replying, but I just can't help it sometimes. My Walther P22 is at the factory for repair, the slide stop doesn't work, the gun is not accurate enough for some informal target shooting with buddies at work, but I do like the looks of the P22, and Walther customer service is top notch so far (I'm still waiting on my gun tho). I have put a bit over 2000 rounds thru my Ruger MKII in the 3 weeks I have owned it (bought used) and no malfunctions. It will also walk the dog on the guns I shoot against, I even let buddies use my gun for the smallest group shootout. I did add a set of Houge Thumbrest Finger groove grips to the pistol (had factory left hand thumbrest grips when I got it) and I'm very pleased with the gun!

I also have been looking at a S&W model 41, have heard great things about this gun, but at twice the money as the Ruger MKII I'm still just thinking.

Clint

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a browning buckmark, i am very happy, accurate, nice grip well done, and reliable, also like the ruger, and think that this election must be done in a test fire, is like if you are buying a car, you have to "test drive" the gun, you have to feel the pistol.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The Ruger and Buckmark are both fine pistols but the rear sight on the Ruger stays stationary while the rear sight on the Buckmark moves on the slide and all slides have a bit of play or they will not slide:) I think this gives the Ruger a little edge. If you scope 'em--it doesn't matter--they're pretty equal then. As you stated, it's a matter of opinion. I like the High Standards but they aren't in the same price range--not even close.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My father has a High Standard Victor that just may be the nicest pistol of any kind I've ever fired. I had a Mitchell Trophy that came pretty close, but money issues made me sell it a few years ago. Unfortunately, both are out of my price range right now. I'm leaning toward the Ruger right now, but I might rent a Buckmark this week just to see how it runs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
in my Buckmark the rear sight don't moves on the slide, is fixed, if you look closer you'll see that the slide has a cavity and the rear sight is fixed to the barrel and frame by a piece of metal that has two screws(barrel and frame), in the colt woodsman the rear sight moves on the slide, i hope you understand my bad english.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
serri,
Your english is fine, and I understand what you're saying about the sight. I was thinking about the wrong pistol. I don't own a buckmark but my friend does and he has a red dot sight on it. His shoots very well and he loves it. What does a Buckmark cost? Are they in the 300.00 price range?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go play with a Neos before you decide against one

I picked up my Neos today and it handled like a dream. No misfires, nor jams or any other oddities in mine.

My reasoning behind it was the feel and the (hopeful) future accessories that it may entail :)

Personally, the MK II didn't feel right in my hand but the Browning Buckmark was a close second for me, for the same reasons as the Neos. The Buckmark should be around $250 or less at most retail stores. (Oshman's being the one I noticed)

TreeHouse

·
Registered
77 Posts
.22 pistol

I either own or have owned and shot all of these weapons...I can tell you the least expensive Browning Buckmark has a very nice trigger...(sold mine):mad: Still have ruger mark 11 slab with volquartsen trigger thats still needs help and is at the smith getting stoned...now if you want a classic with a very good trigger out of the box...buy a smith model 41,the tigger you won't question...what it eats you will:p ...stay away from all that girlly stuff....:eek: (neos...walther) and buy a good old american weapon....:p

·
Registered
752 Posts
As an owner of one of the NEOS's having issues I can honestly say go check one out!

Would I buy another? Absolutely, if I can get caught up on the rest of my "gotta haves".

The problems I have read (and experienced) have been minor and do not surprise me in a new design that also falls under the $300 mark.

In a day and age where I read of custom 1911's that run over $2K having "issues" I am not surprised when any new design has hiccups.

It is expected that not every weapon rolling off an assembly line will be perfect. The term "acceptable failure rate" has become the bane of our existence. For better or worse that's the way it is now.

I work in appliance repair and see this everywhere. For every person that swears by product "X", I bet I can find someone who swears at it.;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How's the trigger on the Neos

The big thing against the Neo that I've heard is that the trigger pull is just this side of terrible. I've located a used one for $200, but if the trigger is bad I don't want to mess with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.