Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input on a scope and mount choice .

Rifle: Marlin 17vs
Price Range $500-$600
Mission Profile:(PRIMARY) Rodent control around the farm. Big ole Brown and Norway rats (200-300 a year). Normal range 4-35 yds almost all in lowlight or after dark conditions (dim barn, outside flood light, or moonlight). (SECONDARY) Occasional coyote (10-15 a year). Normal range 50-100 yds all light conditions. Plinking and target range 50-100 yrd.

I have been using an 30 year old Sears (Marlin) single shot 22lr
with a cheap 8x scope and a toweled flashlight. Many times I can see the rats in the dark through the scope but can not see the reticle. Right now thinking either Burris 1.75X-5X Signature Safari LRS or 1.5X-6X Signature Elecro-Dot and the Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated circle dot reticle.

Right now Leaning towards the Leupold and having the parallax adjusted to somewhere between 30 and 50 yards.

Thoughts? Mount choices? Other scope brands?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bushnell banner 4-12x40...great optics, designed for low light use(not a illuminated recticle but the recticle is pretty easy to see), great in the middle of the day or late evening. Im going to be using a Power custom base, with burris Signature zee rings...which IMO seems to be the best idea...or a PC base with A.R.M.S. quick mounts (good if you dont want to keep the scope on the rifle, or use the scope on other rifles...)

if you got a red dot scope with the ARMS adaptor and a regular scope with the ARMS rings you could quickly (several seconds) swap scopes and not lose your zero...they arent cheap tho, but they are VERY durable and easy to use (we swap a scope and red dot on my fathers ar15 with this system)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Actually for your primary mission, I think a red dot would be better than a scope. At those close ranges will be plenty accurate and very fast. Get one like a Nikon with good coatings on the lens, and adjustable dot sizes. Likely would even be
useful on the coyotes, though maybe not optimum.

Throw in target shooting though and it simply is incompatible with the other mission. I guess a 2-7x or 3-9x illuminated might best do all. Your looking at some rather expensive glass there. Which is good. But I might also point out taking a look at some of the Trijicon/Acog scopes that are tritium illuminated without any batteries involved.

And finally Simmons makes a 2.8-10x Aetec for just under $200. For use on a low recoiling 17 wouldn't be bad. At least let you make sure this will do for you before possibly going whole hog on the more expensive glass. Surely you could use the Aetec on that old 22 later on.

http://www.trijicon-inc.com/

for trijicon info.

www.swfa.com a good place to purchase. And they sell all the stuff mentioned.

I have no experience with the Trijicon scopes, they just look like they might fit the bill. Mainly the Accupoint. Don't know what the optical quality in general is on these.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x20 mentioned by you. I have an illuminated version, and it works great. At the distances you mention, I'm not sure if a parallax adjustment wouldn't be a waste, because you get a great depth of field at a 1.5x, 2x or 3x power setting.

In any event, it would be the best scope for all you do. I have shot many ground squirrels at 100+ yards with this scope. So it works well at anything 100 yds or less. Of course 5x is perfect for these distances. In addition, you're getting a quality scope with a lifetime guarantee. For the distances you shoot more magnification would be a waste, especially if the glass quality isn't there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks on the input.

Usually I make my rat rounds through the avairy pens between 10:00pm and 2:00am right before bed. So anything without a illuminated reticle is out of the question.

A toweled flashlight is just that a flashlight with a thread bare towel over it. Between my old eyes and the darkness I can usually pick out the rats but not the Xhairs in the scope. Using a regular flashlight makes the rats run ... throw a towel over it, center it on target slow and it puts out just enough light to pick out the reticle (Rats continue to munch on the spilled food).

Wife will not let me spend more than twice what I paid for gun on a scope so around $600 is all I can spend. Never been a fan of the red dots but have not looked at them since right after they came out ... with the new tech they may warrant a closer look.

I felt the Leupold 1.5-5X20 with a illuminated circle dot would be a good compromise allow some range finding abilities for the coyotes and still allow quick acquisition for the close in shots.

Found the Leupold for about $520 w/shipping so that is the route I will most likely take. I will mount it up and see how it is before making a determination on a parallux adjustment.

New to the forum, great resource here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have a Leupold 1.5-5x20 Illuminated circle dot on the way. I need to figure out how to hook up the scope to the Marlin 17vs. The only problem is that the scope main tube is 30 mm. the question now is Millet the only manufacturer that makes 30mm rings for the 3/8ths dove tail? Is there some sort of conversion base that would allow the use of Burris signiture rings? Really want to stay away from drilling and tapping the receiver.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Warne makes the 7.3 for 30mm scopes. The claws are designed to either work on their premier base or a regular dovetail by removing the recoil lug. BKL makes 30mm rings that start around $30. Some other manufacturers:

Warne 7.3 Rings
B-Square
Redfield Optics

If you want to consider Weaver-style rings I make adapters that will attach to the 3/8" dovetail and provide a mount point for Weaver-style or Picatinny rings without having to drill and tap the receiver. I designed them originally for the CZ American but they also fit regular 22s as well.

Brookies Weaver Adapters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.