Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a two- piece rest. Although I am not at the stage where I need to move up yet, I have been looking at pictures of the various matches and noticed that most of the better shooters use a one-piece rest. I can see the advantages of a one-piece. So my question is this... is shooting a one-piece rest that much better than a two-piece? Or is the one-piece really the way to go in order to get to the next level?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
whats your budget that can decide alot of it
Also what are your goals from the rest
Finally what kind of rifle will you be using off of it

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Also, it depends if you are shooting sanchoned matches. Certain matches only allow two-piece rest & bags, etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I am breaking my wife into my new-found benchrest enthusiasm. After much research I settled on the Savage MkII BTVS. The price was right for an introductory rifle. I also purchased the high-end Caldwell front rest and a Protektor rear bag. I have also procured a few boxes each of the major brands of ammunition,mostly in the high to middle range, in order to see where my rifle ends and I begin.
As I have stated in my post, I am not at the point where I will be out-shooting my rifle yet, but I plan to within the next 12-18 months. Speaking of which I will have to post a separate thread regarding some rifle questions that I have... Anyhow, there is no ceiling as per pricing. I like to study the hell out of anything that I am new to. Based on a scale of 1-10 I generally find that I can find the best value in the 6-8 range. I'm too poor to buy cheap equipment. My MKII will be my nephew's first gun.
Thanks again for your time guys. I may not have been clear enough in my original post. I am wondering if a one-piece rest is inherently more betterrer than a two piece...or do all better shooters gravitate to one-piece rests?
I have plenty of money to spend, but not a penny to waste. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Cost alone is a poor comparison. You can spend as much or more on a two piece rest and bag as you can on a one piece. Most of the better shooters I shoot with use two piece set ups. They use said equipment because it's called for in the rules (IR50/50). Most don't change when shooting ARA or IR Unlimited where one piece rests are allowed. Doesn't affect thier scores and they compete against one piece rests quite nicely. A lot of your needs will hinge on what, if any, sanctioned matches you may attend in the future. A two piece set up will get all the accuracy you will get from your current rifle. For that matter, it will get all you can get from any rifle, albeit more practice and a longer learning curve may be required. Not all bad, gives you a good reason to spend more time at the range.

Ken

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Have you seen a one piece out- shoot a 2 piece { same rifle used in both}??.
I don't know that the rest is what makes the difference. My belief is that the shooter is what counts most. I don't own or shoot off a one piece rest so, take what I say for what it's worth, (about what you paid for it). It's never bothered me to shoot against one piece rests, maybe I'm not smart enough to know I'm out classed. Doesn't seem to make that much difference in the outcome. Guys that beat me with two piece outfits will beat me with one. Conversly, one piece rests don't turn things around for those I regularly place ahead of.

There is undoubtedly a longer learning curve with the two piece set up. Bag and rest placement, front bag tension, repeatability, all need to be adressed. The one piece rests take care of the majority of that for you. Some guys even tether their guns with a bungee cord so they don't even have to push the gun back to battery.

For those who would argue that a one piece rest is the ultimate, consider that Harry Deneen and DJ Hepler have both won the ARA nationals with two piece rests shooting against the majority of shooters using one piece rests. It all comes down to good equipment, ammo and reading the wind. Remember, the wind is the equalizer in all equations.

Ken

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Have you seen a one piece out- shoot a 2 piece { same rifle used in both}??.
Hey, I rambled on up above and never answered the question! I do believe that would depend on the individual shooter and how proficient he is with a two piece set up. I haven't seen much difference. I also don't shoot against one piece rests very often.

Ken

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have both a one piece and a two piece rests. Tango has it right, the skill of the shooter at reading conditions (wind) is what decides most matches when guns and ammo are equal. I prefer the one piece rest because I only shoot 5050 unlimited where one piece rests are legal. I think it lets you set up quicker and the relationship between the front rest and back support is a set distance on a quality one piece rest. One less thing to think about when shooting a match.
The rest its self will not improve your scores, I don't believe. learning to tune your gun and skill reading the wind will improve your scores.

Jim

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
i shoot ARA and the one piece dominates. it's what most use But there are a few two piece rests being used. mostly by folks who shoot more than one type of match. the ease of use is what sold me on one piece. just turn the knobs to line it up and wait for the wind. it aint that easy but pretty close. bottom line a good set of wind flags will get you farther than a one piece vs. two piece rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.