Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I stated below I have an older Model 54 Match. I see it is drilled for the older style barrel mount scopes (Unertl, Lyman & Fecker types). My question can a modern scope be mounted on these actions without drilling and tapping? Does anyone make mount for these fine rifles like Ken Viani? :Blasting_

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Does this one have the grooves in the back? I would look at the nice one piece offset mount BKL makes, but their website appears to be down right now. Will post the link when they come back up. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Steinie- How stable/solid would that cantilever mount be if it only clamps to the rear of the receiver (One mounting point), vice fore and aft on the receiver (Two mounting points)? How's it compare (Solidity/Stability) to the #261 Unitized?

Reason I ask is I hesitated to get a 54 with only the rear of the receiver grooved as I thought one mounting point would not be as solid as two (Fully grooved receiver).

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mark,
I have seen the BKL cantilever mounts in use on several rifles in play in prone competitions. The owners are quite pleased with their setup. The BKL mounts are quite robust and should not give you any problem.
Al

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Al D. said:
Mark,
I have seen the BKL cantilever mounts in use on several rifles in play in prone competitions. The owners are quite pleased with their setup. The BKL mounts are quite robust and should not give you any problem.
Al
Ditto. The clamp length on the 4 inch cantilever is over an inch and a half, that's way more than the clamping width of 2 normal rings. They hold very well. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
The BKL mounts are definitely stiff. Instead of tightening a small clamping plate like in other mounts, the entire mount must be squeezed. This can take a bit of effort, but it can be done. I have used them and never had a problem.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
usmc69 said:
I have had a couple of people tell me they had problems getting the BKL to tighten on the Anschutz rear groove. Have you all noted any problems?
No issues here. Have them on and have had them on 4-5 Annie's and a Sako Finnfire, which all have the European sized grooves I believe.

I just tighten the screws til you hear that first "squeak", and have had no issues. Heck, I use the scope as a handle on my field guns at times, and the BKL's are rock solid. ;)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If it is for benchrest and a 36X scope, the overhanging cantilever may not be ideal. A 36X will show a lot more of the vibration,oscillation, movement when aiming at a 1/4" ring with a 1/32" dot in it if it is cantilevered and not bridged. It is a game of finite advantages.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have heard of some prone shooters using up to 32-36x, but in all reality, 18-24x is a good range. At least you can see all of your shots at 100 yds without the need for a spotting scope. If you are going to use it for 3P, however, you might be more comfortable with a lower power. I personally use 20x tops for prone but I do use a 36x for silhouette. I would consider the overall quality of the scope and reticle style as a first requirement over power. In other words, a 6.5-20 Leupold would be a no brainer over a 6-24 BSA. As for benchrest, not really into that game.
Al

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will use it off a benchrest. So any of the three would be alright. Not planning on any matches with it. No matches in this area.

I too, prefer quality as a requirement. I also prefer FCH to a Dot. I have a 36X Leupold. However, for something I am not going to shoot competitively will opt for a lesser scope.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Tenspot said:
If it is for benchrest and a 36X scope, the overhanging cantilever may not be ideal. A 36X will show a lot more of the vibration,oscillation, movement when aiming at a 1/4" ring with a 1/32" dot in it if it is cantilevered and not bridged. It is a game of finite advantages.
Tenspot is 100% right and I wish I had his advise before putting one on my Win 52 recently only to find out that for precision shooting it does not become part of a system that will give me the accuracy I know from experience my gun is capable of. Good advise Tenspot...would have saved me $ had I had it earlier and heeded it. PDwight had made a comment in an earlier thread that may have been a red flag but I did not follow up because it sounded like asthetic comparison to Viani.

Using 36X for benchrest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.