Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased an older charger that has had some modifications made to it. Now I would like to change the barrel so that I can use it with my Sparrow suppressor but I have some questions.

I was looking at the AccuLite and Kidd sites and on one of them it says contact the factory if you have a treaded barrel. I have not taken the gun apart yet. Is there a way to tell if the barrel is sleeve barrel or threaded.?

I am considering a 6" barrel to keep the gun and the suppressor about the same length as what I have now.

Preferences on Kidd vs AccuLite. I know the this is like asking Ford vs Chevy, but I want a barrel that will fit well, shoot well and looks decent.

What am I missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can't imagine anybody paying to have their barrel threaded to the receiver on a Charger. And it would take literally under 1 minute to disassemble it to the point you could tell for sure (if you can't just look at the join between barrel and receiver from the top.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If that was my Charger and I wanted a shorter threaded barrel I would use a factory 8"threaded. SAP does get stuff in but you just have to keep checking their website 3 or 4 times a day to get lucky.

I like that stock.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I can't imagine anybody paying to have their barrel threaded to the receiver on a Charger. And it would take literally under 1 minute to disassemble it to the point you could tell for sure (if you can't just look at the join between barrel and receiver from the top.
Where are you getting the idea that the barrel of the OP's Charger pistol is screwed into the receiver?

The OP is requiring a threaded muzzle for suppressor use; I see no threaded muzzle on the existing barrel, and I'm puzzled as to why any 10/22 or Charger barrel manufacturer would need to know whether or not a potential customer's 10/22 or Charger pistol barrel came from the factory with a threaded muzzle or not...?

Some notes: I chose a KIDD 6" barrel for my Charger clone, and the receiver bore of the Brownells BRN-22 receiver I used needed to be enlarged to create the proper interference fit with the KIDD barrel tenon.

The KIDD barrels (and any other manufacturer's 10/22 or Charger barrel) really should be fitted to the receiver for the best accuracy potential.

By contrast, I have an OEM 16" Ruger 10/22 barrel that FELL into the Brownells receiver, and the 10" barrel of my factory Ruger Charger pistol fits nearly as loose. Anyone contemplating a build should keep these things in mind when considering OEM or aftermarket barrels for their 10/22 rifle or Charger pistol because a loose fitting barrel contributes to poor accuracy.

·
Premium Member
10,085 Posts
Second sentence of the ops original post indicates e thinks that the barrel might be threaded into the receiver.

And kidd barrel tennons are notoriously oversized to prevent any slop in the fit. Thats why you freeze the barrel and bake the receiver before you pound it on with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Where are you getting the idea that the barrel of the OP's Charger pistol is screwed into the receiver?

The OP is requiring a threaded muzzle for suppressor use; I see no threaded muzzle on the existing barrel, and I'm puzzled as to why any 10/22 or Charger barrel manufacturer would need to know whether or not a potential customer's 10/22 or Charger pistol barrel came from the factory with a threaded muzzle or not...?
Your question answer themselves.
First question- I'm not getting that impression, the aftermarket barrel makers are asking if he has a slip fit or threaded barrel. Since THEY would be supplying the replacement barrel, it wouldn't matter to them if his muzzle was threaded- but it sure as hell would cause an issue if he had a threaded receiver (older Supergrade) and they shipped a slip fit.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you enlarge the picture of the blue side you can see the word Ruger. Ruger never threaded a receiver from the factory.
Well, it seems pretty elementary to us, but they still have to ask, as some people have had their receivers threaded (though why you would do this with a stock receiver may be questionable)

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Most if not all the after market barrels come with tight chambers. I ran into problems with 42 and 45 grain subsonic in a Tacsol barrel on a 10-22. Gun ran fine with stock barrel. The Tacsol is now sitting in the safe.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your question answer themselves.
First question- I'm not getting that impression, the aftermarket barrel makers are asking if he has a slip fit or threaded barrel. Since THEY would be supplying the replacement barrel, it wouldn't matter to them if his muzzle was threaded- but it sure as hell would cause an issue if he had a threaded receiver (older Supergrade) and they shipped a slip fit.
I simply don't agree. And perhaps the OP is mistaken because I've gone over both the AccuLite and KIDD sites and there is virtually no mention of either vendor asking potential customers if they have a thread in 10/22 or Charger barrel before ordering.

And in regards to a manufacturer not being concerned about a threaded muzzle, YES it does matter because there are states where threaded muzzles are illegal on semi auto firearms such as the Ruger 10/22 or Charger, e.g., under New York's Safe Act.

In all my years I've never heard of a Ruger 10/22 rifle or Charger pistol with a thread in barrel, custom or otherwise. Of course that doesn't mean that they don't exist, but why on earth would someone do such a thing when good quality barrels can be installed/fitted properly via the standard factory barrel attachment method?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Absurdly wrong. The original Kidd Supergrade rifles are known to have threaded receivers and barrels. CPC (Randy) has also done custom threaded installations. I don't own more than a basic 10/22 but I've run across plenty of threads in the short time I've been on this forum.

Again, why would a barrel manufacturer care if the barrel THAT YOU ARE TAKING OFF AND REPLACING WITH THEIR PRODUCT has a threaded muzzle? If it's illegal in the purchasers state there's a much different way they could ask that question- or in fact just look at his address

As for implying the OP is "mistaken". That is insulting, given that you could have just asked for clarification.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts