Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Older cars and pickups?

4989 145
Did you ever have an older car or pickup, that you wish you had kept?;)
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

· Registered
Remington 510, Savage 87C, RAR 22lr.
93 Posts
I had a nice bug with the little hand waving turn signals Forget the year, 50's for sure.. My sister borrowed it and rolled it.

· Registered
608 Posts
'69 RoadRunner was my first car - got it from my oldest brother in 1972 who bought it new through a MOPAR program where he put in an allotment for the year he was in RVN. At the end of his "tour", MOPAR met him at the airport of his choosing, gave him the title and keys and he drove it home to my parents. On the way to my parents, he got a small chip in the windshield. It is still there!

I still have it and it will go to his son (my nephew) when (or before) I pass. It is stored in my shop and once restored (needs engine work as it hasn't been run for 30 years, body and interior in great shape), I would enjoy one last ride with my nephew before he takes ownership but it is in need of some serious mechanical restoration. He needs a place to properly store/garage it and I hope he can take my oldest brother for a drive before HE passes.

I have no regrets about past cars, but there is still a place in my heart for a '76 Capri V6 that got me through a 3-year "tour" in Germany and a '86 T-Bird Elan I traded in for an '88 T-Bird Sport (which I still have with 195K miles on it - all original - stored in my shop with the RoadRunner). And a rather zippy '91 Honda Prelude Si I got for my bride that was a blast - except for long 8-hour drives. Replaced with a 2004 turbo Subi Forester which she loved and I still have (wonderful and speedy car!). My preferred every-day-car is a 2004 Explorer I got new, so I guess I'm an old fogey.

No interest in newer cars...I am fine with what I have, and the memories of cars past.

· Registered
482 Posts
Owned these VeeDubs a 1984 vanagon, owned two Baha Bugs, also this 1978 kawasaki police bike, 62 buick skylark, 67 mercury comet,
View attachment 346372

View attachment 346368
View attachment 346369 View attachment 346371
View attachment 346373
I would love the bike, that would be so much fun.

For a while I was not sure what road to take with my VW. Baja it, make a fiberglass dune buggy. Finally hit on leaving the body just as is. With all the "patina". So it will basically be a new car under the body. I think that will be fun.

Body has but one hole in a door, not quite sure how to address that and keep with the theme. I could fix it up nice like normal, but I want it looking old rode hard put away wet. I will do new body seals...the basic make the thing last kind of thing.

I told myself that the GT6 was going to be the last car I did....but the VW kinda landed in my lap and I had to do something with it.

· Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Thing is fun, I had a manual one that I am sure wanted to kill me.....so got rid of that and bought this one a couple years back. It gets a great deal of use, it will not do doubles, and am thinking about another.
Maybe this Christmas Santa will bring me one that goes in the receiver hitch and plugs into the rv plug for power. The deluxe one with the seat and wobbler that does doubles and rabbits.

· Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Over the years of shopping and wishing since I haven’t been able to bring myself to spend that much on me. You can get an electric thrower that throws doubles “ I’m certain “ that attaches to your trailer stinger and plugs into your 6 way trailer plug.
The warbler and chair are extras that can be purchased the rest was wishful thinking, perhaps the chair and mounting option was wishful thinking as well but I’m almost certain that I have seen one for sale at one time or another.

· Registered
902 Posts
Boy is THIS going to be a long thread! :D

I have owned a LOT of cars since 1968. I guess there were about 4 or 5 I wish I still had.

My first car was a 1960 Volvo 544, beige/blue gut. Simple, rugged, reliable ... it looked like a half sized 1940 Ford Sedan:

View attachment 287633

After that I owned a 1962 Pontiac Tempest Lemans convertible. White, beige top, beige interior. Very interesting car. It's engine was a 389 V8 that had been cut in half making a slant 4. The transmission was mounted on the differential. The shifter was a little lever and dash mounted.

View attachment 287635

I moved up to a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville convertible, Red, white top, red gut. 389 V8, Rochester 4 BBL carb. When you floored it, that Rochester would give an almighty moan! It had a STUPID aluminum timing gear with teeth that were made of a type of plastic. I hung on a set of Ford Galaxie wire wheel hub caps on it ... way better looking then mags! GREAT looking car ... turned a lot of heads. If I had to narrow the list down to just one ... this would be it. It might not be a sports car ... but it sure was a sportin' car!

View attachment 287637

Way down the road, I bought a Porsche 914, Blue, black gut. 2 ltr engine. I got it cheap, put a bunch of Euro spec parts on, and sold for a lot of money. It was a great car that handled amazingly well. I should NEVER have sold this car.

View attachment 287639

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I bought a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk, white, dark blue gut. Studebaker V8 (not the Packard engine). I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the fins were fiberglass add-ons. I really liked the Hawks. I thought they really looked Italian, like a Maserati. I bought it, drove it home and parked it with big plans ... and sold it, never drove it again.

View attachment 287641
The Volvo, the 914 and the Studebaker. Wow super neat.
Boy is THIS going to be a long thread! :D

I have owned a LOT of cars since 1968. I guess there were about 4 or 5 I wish I still had.

My first car was a 1960 Volvo 544, beige/blue gut. Simple, rugged, reliable ... it looked like a half sized 1940 Ford Sedan:

View attachment 287633

After that I owned a 1962 Pontiac Tempest Lemans convertible. White, beige top, beige interior. Very interesting car. It's engine was a 389 V8 that had been cut in half making a slant 4. The transmission was mounted on the differential. The shifter was a little lever and dash mounted.

View attachment 287635

I moved up to a 1965 Pontiac Bonneville convertible, Red, white top, red gut. 389 V8, Rochester 4 BBL carb. When you floored it, that Rochester would give an almighty moan! It had a STUPID aluminum timing gear with teeth that were made of a type of plastic. I hung on a set of Ford Galaxie wire wheel hub caps on it ... way better looking then mags! GREAT looking car ... turned a lot of heads. If I had to narrow the list down to just one ... this would be it. It might not be a sports car ... but it sure was a sportin' car!

View attachment 287637

Way down the road, I bought a Porsche 914, Blue, black gut. 2 ltr engine. I got it cheap, put a bunch of Euro spec parts on, and sold for a lot of money. It was a great car that handled amazingly well. I should NEVER have sold this car.

View attachment 287639

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I bought a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk, white, dark blue gut. Studebaker V8 (not the Packard engine). I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the fins were fiberglass add-ons. I really liked the Hawks. I thought they really looked Italian, like a Maserati. I bought it, drove it home and parked it with big plans ... and sold it, never drove it again.

View attachment 287641
The 544, 914 and the Studebaker. My favorites. Was looking for a 544 real hard at one time.

· Registered
482 Posts
1972 white T Bird, 429.

She just kept getting harder to work on...
For the longest time I did those big American cars with the big engines. There is nothing on them past a lug nut that is not heavy. So I moved down to things like @Barksdale123 posted up, the good ole LBC (little british car). Never did a mini, but Triumph and MG, with a taste of Italy in Fiat as well as some German with Opel mixed in there for good measure. I SCCA road raced an Opel GT before 2000. Kinda blew that light weight thing right out of the water, 1.9L Opel engine is meaty. That head weighs a ton.

· Registered
702 Posts
Makes me want to ride around in the 78 alfa sports sedan just to be obtuse. To cold. Cool to see others have money pit passions also. You would think weapons or cars not both. I'm a very slow learner.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts