Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 146 Posts

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you ever have an older car or pickup, that you wish you had kept?;)

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I currently have a '70 Chevy 3/4T Custom Camper with a big block 402 V-8 and a long list of accessories. I've owned approximately 50 vehicles in my time. If I had to pick one up out of the lineup, it would probably be the '64 Malibu, 283 with a Powerglide. AC, etc. I sold it the day before I went to Navy Boot Camp. The guy I sold it to, his son totaled it, high on pills. :(
Cross Tops?

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not the most valuable or fastest..... But I had a 10 year old 1964 LeMans one time, it was like brand new!:)

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I met my soon-to-be wife, I had a '64 Impala convertible, stripped. The original owner bought it to race. SHP 327, close ratio Muncie 4-speed, 3.91 posi, a radio, Police wheels, a tach and a rear seat speaker. Manual steering and brakes, no big deal. I had to marry her; it was costing me $200 a month in gasoline, in 1980! I did everything to it, drove it for a few years and then sold it for $2k. I see a convertible just like it but with an automatic in the local Recycler for $82k! Sheeze. :(
3.91 gear ratio ain't good for gas mileage, but good for Jack Rabbit starts .:D

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No idea. Whatever the pill du jour was in '73, I guess. I know what the prescription pills I take look like and that's about it. I'll stick to coffee and beer, but I'm having to give those up too, according to my doctor. :cautious: Coffee is the tough one, so far.
1973 was a good year for cross tops, shortly later the powder form came out! :devilish:

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Here is a pic of my daughter and her 442 (she's standing behind it) at the main entrance to the Atlanta "international auto show" with what at the time was a Roadrunner valued at close to $100k (2017 I think.) Now her 442 is worth that nearly much, if you find the right buyer. She's the 2nd owner and will never sell it - it's immaculate, but she's selling her Corvette. The orange car in the foreground was a Charger, I think - same color as her Challenger, which was modeled on the old Charger. She'd only had the Challenger for a couple of years at the time.

View attachment 304873
Look at the white Superbird in your pic.......😁

Sky Tire Cloud Land vehicle Vehicle

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The one in my pic is cream, and a member of the local classic car club she is involved in. It's a freaking tank, when he shows it at Caffeine and Octane, it takes up more than a standard parking space. Only markings are the Plymouth brand and the logo on the wing. It's a RoadRunner, not a Superbird. The latter are worth twice as much.
With the wing and nose cone, it sure looks like a Superbird? I use to belong to the DSAC!

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
That is also my understanding but pretty much everything I "know" has come from owners at car shows. I'm not as into them as my daughter or ex BIL. It was a heavily modified version designed for NASCAR racing. Homologation requirements meant a certain number had to be sold to the public to be permitted to race. The SB had a 440+ CI engine where the Road Runner had something like a 330hp 350CI engine. They did put a larger HEMI in the RR at some point but the ones sold to the public did not have the chassis and suspension upgrades of the SB.

Daughter says she has reached out to owner of the car in the pic I shared. Her car and I'm sure his were featured in the brochure/catalog/magazine for that show but I couldn't begin to figure out where it is. I know hers was, because I sent a copy to my parents. She may have a copy handy.

SB or not, it was a cool car. She was honored to have her 442 be featured alongside it. She was also invited to show at the Concourse de Elegance ("Pebble Beach" of Atlanta), either later that year or the next. Checked my hundreds of pics from that but the Plymouth wasn't in any.
Yeah, I pretty much know this stuff.(y) You can see my 2 club Avatar!;)

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
BTW, I'm not a racer or race car type of guy at heart. I just had the chance to drive the car the final two years we were on the salt. After a few attempts, I set a record.
Fly, you know much more about this racing stuff than I do.(y)
But, I've been around quite a few Superbirds this last 40 years or so!;)

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Ole Rosscoe is not a Race car driver any longer. He prefers the right lane and 55 mph.

I guess we shouldn't talk about the 71 Hemi Cuda that was in the shop...

Rosscoe also owned the only jeep to ever scare the piss out of me. Lifted with skinny tires and a 231ci Buick in it.

Rosscoe has owned plenty of unique vehicles.

I still miss the 1969 Grand Prix with the 35' long hood.

The Scoopmobile was a crazy machine. So was the straddle carrier.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
24,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I still have a couple , of classics remaining Henry Steel ‘32 3 window coupe , 79 CTD Power Wagon, 75 Police Special Harley Davidson , 84 Wide-glide Harley Davidson . The question was are there any you wish you never sold ‘48 F1 , ‘ 37 Chevrolet Coupe , 67 Fairlane 428 SCJ 4 speed , 70 Torino 429 SCJ Drag Pak . 66 Galaxie Custom 300 427 4 speed , I have had more cars than a family owns in their life time .
I lost count at about 60 vehicles, this was 20 years ago!;)

1 - 17 of 146 Posts