Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about mounting an older 5092 with bolt-lock safety to a rifle not originally equipped for it. My rifle is a 2002 model which originally came with a 5103 trigger. I traded this for a 5092 from a 1977 model. I would actually prefer to keep this feature, which would require drilling next to the lug bearing surface. Is this ill-advised?

Thanks,

Chris in Norway

Attachments

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Chris,

I would be worried that drilling into the bolt handle could compromise the hardness of the locking surface (with subsequent damage, and increase in headspace). I'm not an engineer/machinist/metallurgist though. So I'd want someone who knows this stuff to check the hardness of the lug, and give me a professional opinion on the heating effect of drilling, and whether the handle needs to be rehardened afterwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris,

I would be worried that drilling into the bolt handle could compromise the hardness of the locking surface (with subsequent damage, and increase in headspace). I'm not an engineer/machinist/metallurgist though. So I'd want someone who knows this stuff to check the hardness of the lug, and give me a professional opinion on the heating effect of drilling, and whether the handle needs to be rehardened afterwards.
I can probably borrow a portable tester from a friend but if anyone has gone down this road before I'd love to hear the good, bad and ugly of it. The handle appears soldered on, possibly another consideration.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drilling the hole was no problem. I made a funnel-like (slightly oversize) pilot with a diamond ball bit and finished with a 3mm cobalt bit on a drill press. Safety engages no matter whether the handle is fully down or slightly off its seat.

FYI, the main concern with retaining the bolt lock was safety. Without that locking pin preventing bolt manipulation, slamfire in the Safe position was possible.

Chris

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts