Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Sharpen a wooden pencil.
Do you mean with a pen knife? That's not just kids, sad to say.

Something simple, but I only cook popcorn in a pan on the stove. Microwave popcorn makes me want to puke.

I still sweat copper plumbing.

A dictionary. And this isn't just kids either that don't seem to know how one works.

Proper adjective conjugation, instead of saying stupid sounding things like "more hot" or "most fast". It's amazing to me that even TV announcers can't conjugate anymore.

A volt/ohm/amp meter.

solder / welding equipment.

A needle and thread.

Paper instruction manuals, some even without pictures. Though I am sometimes stumped by the non-native English approximations of sentences.

A map and compass.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most millennials would not know what a schematic is. Even fewer would recognize a "Sam's facts" repair guide for electrical equipment. I used to be able to fix all sorts of electronics with no training using nothing but basic tools, an o'scope and a Sams.

On the same theme is a "Chilton's" guide to car repair. That used to be my first purchase each time that I bought a car.

And then there's magnetos, used to provide the spark on old engines and even some modern ones.

Sealed beam headlights would probably confound most younger folks. The very idea that just 6 headlight designs were enough to satisfy the needs of every car on the road (more or less) is foreign to them.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Work boots. It's almost impossible to find young people to do actual work where you show up every day, on time, and work hard till the end of the day without their cellphone. Believe me I've been trying to find good help for years. Somewhere along the line this generation lost any type of work ethics. And then when they do show up they think everything is unfair and that they should make 3× more $ than someone who's been working for 20 years to do 1/4 as much work. If any of you have young help that actually is a good worker do everything you can to keep them because they're VERY hard to find.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was letting a youngster shoot my T/C G2 22LR carbine. He watched me load it, shot and pulled the trigger again, mystified that it didn't fire again. He had been shooting his Grandfathers 10-22, used to emptying a magazine with a few pulls of the trigger.
FM

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.