Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an old single shot .22 marked JGA [ encircled with two circles] on the barrel.

Also on the barrel: J.G.A. ZELLA-MEHLIS. GERMANY, Cal 22 Long Rifle. The proof markings are what looks to be a crown or a bell with a little cross or something similar over the letter B. This appears like this: [ the @ is meant to signify the proof mark I'm trying to describe]

@
B
@
B

This same proof marking is also on the right side of the breech.

Also marked on the barrel is the same type of bell with small cross mark [ although it looks to be more obscure than the other marks mentioned] over the letter N. This proof also appears on the bolt, about a 1\4" behind the face of the bolt.

It looks to be a flobert design, with the extractor that rides in a groove in the bottom of the breech. The bolt is a two part design, that gets hard to close at the end when loading a round, as it's cocking the firing pin spring. When the trigger is pulled, the back mass of the bolt comes forward, thus moving the firing pin with it..... The bolt locks by turning it to the right when closed, with the bolt handle locking on a notch cut out in the breech. The bolt is removed by pulling the trigger and pulling the bolt all of the way back and thus out.

The trigger is a two stage trigger.

The bolt handle arm is curved, about an inch long, and has a ball about 1\2" in diameter with three circles on it. The very back of the bolt has a knurled disc about 5/8 ths across to grab / push onto, to work the action.

The barrel is 18" long from the closed bolt face to muzzle. The sights are fixed V notch rear, post front.

Overall length 35.5"

Stock is simple, tapered and rounded at the fore-end, slight curve to the butt end, no metal plate on the butt. No embelleshments.

The gun is very light and slim......prolly weighs about 2.5 lbs or so...

Serial # is 115XXX

I've tried researching this rifle on Google, but have come up empty handed....although I've happened across a few threads of others who have the same type of rifle. Seems some think that it may have been a hitler youth training gun??

I bought this gun yesterday for $99.00

Can anyone help me identify the model / age?

Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've given more thought on the age of your Anschutz.The JGA in a circle and Zella-Mehlis address would date this rifle prior to 1945. .The proof house is Zella-Mehlis.The Crown over N proof mark was used till April,1940.Your Rifle is a youth training rifle,made between1933-1940.The Crown over N is a commercial proof mark,not military .Crown= German State,N= Nitro or Smokeless powder.Most Nazi Youth rifles were Mauser,22 cal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.