Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Old School Ballistics

565 15
Balistics Question,3.2" of drop?

Hey guy's i have this book from 51' and it's called the standard book for hunting and shooting.Here's my dilema,it's got a ballistics chart with old school math drawn out long hand and it checks out( god i hate calculus)
well it states that a .22 caliber bullet fired at 1400fps(original superx by western cartridge co) drops approxamatly 4 inches and it's mid range trajectory is 3.2 inches.So how do you guys arrive at claims like 14 inches at 100 and 60 or so at two hundred.
OIS
If it was my ignorance or stupidity please don't gloat, i'll have to go to my corner to cry :D
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't give a darn about where it's sighted at, all i want to know is how much would it drop if the rifle was held dead level without looking at the sights and fired I have always been told to aim 4 inches high at one hundred i don't think a .22 would drop 60inches sover 200 and 4-5 seems reasonable at 100 rather than 5-8.
Maybe I live on the surface of mars but i really don't or did'nt think it would drop that much.
OIS

· Registered
8,259 Posts
Actual drop from BORE LINE may be that much, I'd have to look it up to be certain, but what the Winchester book and most everybody else is talking about is drop from line of SIGHT, not line of bore. What you are doing by "sighting in" a scope or iron sights is making the bullet cross the line of sight at an arc. The gun actually shoots at a slight upward angle so that the bullet will cross the line of site. A bullet will cross your line of sight twice, a typical example being the high velocity 40 grainer 22 long rifle. First crossing will be approximately at 25 to 27 yards, then the bullet impact will be about a half inch or so above the line of sight, then fall to meet the line of sight again at about 50 to 55 yards, will be about 2 inches below line of sight at 75 yards, and about 4 to 5 inches low at 100 yards. Standard velocity target ammo will be from 7 to 10 inches low at 100 yards from a 50 yards zero.

I just dug out an old gun magazine with some .22 ballistic info in it. ACTUAL drop from the bore line, with the rifle theoretically held level, is about 13.5'' for typical high velocity long rifle ammo, 10.5'' for CCI Stingers, and 16.5'' for Eley Tenex at typical match ammo 1080 feet per second. The worst ballistic drop recorded in the article was with high velocity shorts with the 29 grain bullet, which figures 18.5'' of drop from the bore line.

Drop from bore line figures is really irrelevant, as the bullet must ALWAYS be sighted to hit the line of sight through the sighting system, typically 1.5'' high from the boreline with a scope sight.

Whoever said 60'' of drop was either exaggerating or mistaken. I don't think most subsonic handgun ammo drops that darned much. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
8,402 Posts
OIS, I shoot a lot of .22 silhouette, where you start off sighted in on the 40 meter targets and work up from there. With Wolf MT, if I start at 40 (zero) then I have to come up 11 1/2 minutes (about 12") to hit at 100 meters. With Dynapoint I have to come up about 9 minutes. I just yesterday shot a long range bench rest match out to 300 meters with my Wolf MT. At 200, I was up 24 minutes from my 40 meter zero, which is about 50" give or take a couple. This in not blowing smoke, this is the real deal.

· Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If 11.5 is about twelve inches wich it is (1 moa=1" for those who do not know)n than 24 clicks must be 24 inches no? then if you add 24 inches to the 10 it takes to get to forty you get 34, right, not fifty, even if it was your shooting sluggish subs.
OIS

· Registered
357 Posts
Old Iron Sights said:
If 11.5 is about twelve inches wich it is (1 moa=1" for those who do not know)n than 24 clicks must be 24 inches no? then if you add 24 inches to the 10 it takes to get to forty you get 34, right, not fifty, even if it was your shooting sluggish subs.
OIS
For those of use that do know, a MOA @ 200yds is a little over 2". So like jnyork said 24 MOA @ 200yds= ~ 50".

· Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, sorry, rough night, I was thinking about how to write up a patent for this machine and was not thinking,your right. But your still shooting sluggish subs!
OIS
Velocitor and stingers do 38 -40"

· Registered
560 Posts
Ballistics

Hi Old Iron sights,
If you want the ballistics on center fire catridges go to Remington web site, go to ballistics and they have a free program called Rem shoot it will give the ballistics on all the remington ammunition.
works slick put in the distance and it will show where it will hit.
W Austin

34,874 Posts
Another great place to get this kind of info is some of the reloading manuals. Sierra and Hornady have good tables in the back for pure drop and for "Point Blank Range" Very interesting and informative stuff if you've never seen it.

· Registered
225 Posts
To jump in late here: The info above sounds right to me: IIRC, I was taught years ago that if a .22 LR HV was fired with the bore parallel to the ground the bullet would drop "a foot or a little more" at 100 yds.

And since no one else seems to have mentioned it: .22 LR at 1400 fps in 1951?!? :confused: Folks, that's equivalent to a nice new CCI Velocitor! :eek:
This is a *Great* example of how all the ammo companies used to publish *very* "optimistic" velocity figures for their ammunition back before the "serious home reloader" chronographs became available. Deduct from 10 to 15% & you'll get a much more likely real-world figure for that 1951 .22 LR Super X: about 1200 to 1260 fps. No foolin.

The claimed figures in ballistics tables of all the major ammo makers took a nose dive sometime in the mid-to-late 1970's, I believe. The optimistic claims were made across the board, in all cartridges, for both handguns & rifles. Example: I have an old .270 Win ammo box, Winchester Super X 130 gr Power Point, circa 1969-70, claimed MV printed on the box is 3140 fps. Newer boxes claim 3060, & I suspect that may still be just a hair optimistic. ;)

34,874 Posts
And that is after any new "Miracle" powder Unclestu. Rule number one when it came to velocity claims? They LIED! They lied and they knew they were lying. The folks with their "Wildcats" were even worse.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
Hey Old Iron Sights.
You are always best off checking your own setup with any cartrige and rifle.
I have loaded 30.06 for over 30 year's.
Presently I am spending most my time with large centerfires in 308 win.
But my favorite 30.06 load in my rifle is a 165 Nosler Balistic tip.
roughly 2950 fps.
With a medium set of rings I sight her to about 1.9-2.0 in high at 100 yards.
At 200 it is about 4 inches high.
At 250 it is on the money .
At 300 it is about 4-6 in low.
My .308 win with a 150 gr.
2880 fps.
100 yards is 1.9 high
On at 200.
4-5 low at 250..
I stay with lighter bullets because I only hunt whitetail with them.
Set yourself up some targets from 100-150-200-250 and take your time and watch what they do..
My best advice..
Jed..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.