Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some of this at one of the gun shops today. It's standard velocity plain lead if it doesn't show up in the pic well enough. I know it's old because most all of the Rem .22 I've ever seen has had the green/yellow box. Some green/orange, and green/blue if I remember right. I've never used much Remington ammo myself. I bought three boxes and shot one of them this afternoon. I meant to keep the target and post it too or at least measure it with calipers but I forgot and threw it away at the range:rolleyes: . Most of the box was used to try and get the barrel seasoned to some degree. The last ten rounds were used for grouping and they were about 1.75" @100yds in my CZ-452 w/8X scope. Anyone know about how old this stuff is? For whatever it's worth, the lot/batch number is 6122.
Thanks.
JS:D

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
JS44,

About 40 years old.....! ! :)

The green/white box Remington Standard Velocity # 6122 was sold by DCM back in the 60's...! ! ;)

I still have ~ 1/2 a case* left....! ! [* case = 10,000]
[Lot RA 5605 G18N3A ( May, 1956 ? ) ]

It is very good shooting ammo....! ! :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bigmike. The brass has some discoloration from age. None of the 50 that I shot failed to fire and all were consistant.
I'm going to hang on to the other two boxes.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
DU PONT-made Remington 6122

JS44,

Number 6122 refers to Remington Standard Velocity KLEANBORE, headstamped with a capital u (U), to distinguish it from other rem LRs made at that time, like:

1. #1522, a solid High Velocity, Extra Power, "Golden Bullet KLEANBORE", "Golden" U-headstamped (UMC, or Union Metallic Cartridges, left-over initial);

and

2. #1622: a Hollow Point High Velocity, Extra Power, "Golden Bullet KLEANBORE", "Golden", also U-headstamped.

I have just three 6122 boxes left, lot number A23R1A (check the box flaps).

Technical characteristics:
Bullet Weight: 40grains,
Muzzle Velocity: 1145fps (349m),
Muzzle Energy: 116ft.lb. (157Joules).

Source: 1955/56/57 Shooter's Bible catalogs.

Indeed, they are superbly accurate and reliable, despite their age. I save mine as part of my collection. They are like good old wine.

Cheers!

Crete

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Crete. Found the lot #. I looked on the flaps before but didn't see it. The shop I bought this at had it for $1.49 per box. About a month ago they had probably well over 500 rounds of it. There were five by yesterday. I got three and thought someone else might want the rest.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i have 2 bricks of the rem dogbone r17 6122 ammo.sounds like i need too try it too see if it shoots good out of my cz ultra lux.i also have 5 boxes of the green white 6122.bought this all from an old guy at a gun show,he had the stuff for years but doesnt shoot any more.thanks for the tip guys.don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.