Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

old Model 41 vs new one-why?

1222 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ftstinyc
I have a chance to get a new Model 41 at cost but I keep reading posts about getting an older one. Why is that?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Price is one thing.

You can get a used but well cared older M41 for about half the MSRP of the new guns.

Also, the older guns seem to have had more hand finishing put into them.

I saw a new M41 just recently ($800) and the gun was just gorgeous, but when I picked it up it had more sharp edges on it than a bag of broken glass and the trigger was not great.

The older ones often have fantastic triggers on them. :)

But I'm not saying don't buy a new one if you can stand the hit to your wallet!

· Registered
632 Posts
The newer 41's have barrels drilled and tapped for scope/red dot mounting it that is something you would be interested in. All my 41's are older but I have heard good reports on the newer 41's. Don't think it makes much difference. But as the earlier poster indicated you can pick up used older 41's at a lower price than the new ones.

· Registered
150 Posts
I bought a 1985 model 41 last winter. The fit and finish were far superior to those on my 1999 model 41; unfortunately, the wretched thing never did work right. I twisted the seller's arm until he refunded my money.

· Registered
139 Posts
S&W has lost many of their fine workers due to retirement and the cost of doing business has eliminated much of the handwork that went into making fine target pistols. They don't even make their Model 52 anymore. As a result quality goes down and the newer models show it compared to older ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.