Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got ot take a few pics and a closer look at newly accuired rimfire.

I am not sure about the sights as to their originallity, due to the dovetail cut in the barrel with the lower half of some kind of sight in it (pic does snot how this very well sorry). On the other hand, it the peep looks factory, and the front sight has a groove for a hood... This is just me guess so FWIW. The mag is correct, and has the release on the mag body. The barrel measures 24" and is stamped "Ranger Model 36 22-S-L-LR"

I was told it was a Marlin mod 80, but this one lacks an adjustable trigger as mentioned here: (http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/crossref.html).
Maybe Stevens as it shares the same stamp "styles"(if thats the right term) and has a the same type of big take down screw.

Anyway, the finish is rough, no pitting, just wear and surface rust, which will be fine. The rifling is in good shape and very shootable. I have several 10/22s that dont have half the rifling this has...

I still am not sure what mfg it is, but maybe the pics will help.

So here is some pics;
http://w3.gorge.net/jasong/

Anyone have any thoughts?

Regards,
JAG
*Introduce a your kid to the outdoors, and help save our heritage.*

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Marlin - but what model?

It's definitely a Marlin - the basic receiver design and magazine make that clear. The trigger guard is not right, according to my books - looks more like it's off a Remington, but maybe a very early Marlin style? There's no safety on the right side where it oughta be. I've never seen a rear sight like that - it is totally different from what my Model 80DL has - it's mounted on the back of the bolt? My 80DL has the peepsight on the left side. The large number of rifling grooves you mentioned mark it as Marlin's Micro-groove system - I don't know when they adopted the MGR, I think in the late fifties as my '52 Model 39A has the older ballard rifling. Does it have a serial number - if so it would be '68 or newer?

Checked the Gunner's Den Cross Reference list - they show the Ranger 36 as a Marlin Model 80 (with adjustable trigger), but it's got many differences from the Marlins I know!

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.gun-cross-reference-2.html#ranger

It's a mighty interesting rifle. :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ranger 36 = Marlin

Bigdog,
I agree that it is a Marlin as I have found a few tid bits of info leading me in that direction. It does not have the adjustable trigger, like listed. Interesting. Also it has no means for a sling, which says to me maybe factory target rifle?? No serial number, so prior to 68. I am not sure about the MGR as I was refering to rifling wear, not style, in my original post (sorry for the confusion).

GoergeS,
I forgot about Marlintalk...I havent visited that site in long time. oh.....I remember, I got a cold reception there that last time I was researching an old gun(lever) and just never went back... I'll try them again...Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the replies,
JAG

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soooo I found out over at Marlintalk, that the gun is Marlin as said here and the sight was original. A gentleman over there said that the sight may have only been made for the Ranger model. Its bolt mounted design was to get around the opening of the bolt(top of rec). I also got an email from a guy offering me a nice sum for the sight assembly. Now why anyone would think I'd be willing to take the sight off and sell it is beyond me. Anyway thought I would share.

Thanks,
JAG

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a shooter too..

I had a chance to take it out and shoot it last night and man, its a sweet shooter. I only fired shorts in is but it was dead on and just a blast to shoot. Those shorts out of that long barrel are quieter the an air rifle and amaxingly accurate. Cant wait to sit down and really see what it can do. I adjusted the peep as it seem the last owner never figured out how to do it and moved the font blade instead??? Why, I dont know. Still looking for an origianal front sight hood.

Regards,
JAG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.