Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

OKay from what i gather and dont fully understand its BAD to free float a 10/22

732 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Thom
I have 2 factory stocks at the ed of the stock (last inch or better) it makes clear contact. There is even a red line drawn down the center of the stock very faint but its there.

I know the barrels are the heavy piece on the weapon but i picked up a lot by floating a Nagant Sniper. Will it damage the receiver..? Curious bored and was just going to do it until i Google it and everyone was like Noooooo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,129 Posts
I have my 20" bull barrel fully free floated and have found it definitely shoots best this way. I've tried supporting the first few inches, full stock contact and a forward pressure pad and none of those methods shot as well as it does free floated. So far I haven't had any issues but I do think it's worth noting that I am using a KIDD receiver though...

· Registered
413 Posts
The thinking when I was in college was that Ruger 10/22s were not sturdy enough to carry a heavy free floated barrel. We were taught to full length bed them. As time has passed, I have seen many of them free floated without any evidence of trouble, aside from tipping issues when not bedding the action, and that's easily cured.

Personally, I like the security that full length bedding offers and with modern rigid laminated stocks I doubt there is really much (If any) accuracy difference between bedded and floated. But most folks around here seem to prefer floated barrels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.