Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

OK to shoot without bedding ?

520 6
I recently bought an A-B stainless .920 barrel for my 10/22, along with a Fajen thumbhole sporter to match.

I'm currently mounting the scope (after work today), but that's another story !

My question is this: Is it OK to shoot the rifle without bedding the barrel (or going the two barrel lug approach of CPC, as I ask in another related post). I know that accuracy may not be top notch without either, but I am worried about hurting the action/receiver.

The barrel/stock and action fit is very tight. To my mind, if the barrel is sitting tight in the barrel channel, and the action is supported by the wood, then there shouldn't really be much if any pressure on the action, i.e., the barrel is not "hanging" on the flimsy aluminum receiver.

I'd like to shoot the thing to break in the barrel, and just have some fun (ground squirrels are RAMPANT in SE Idaho) until I bed the barrel or get CPC to do the two lug mounting system and an action/trigger job. The action is broken-in fairly well (bought the gun in the 90s and have really only recently begun to put a lot of ammo through it...Idaho, it's wonderful ! ).

Thanks for any advice or experience !

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, ID
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes it is ok to shoot it with out bedding.You may even find that your accuraccy is plenty good ,with the right ammo, with out bedding.By reading some of the posts here by us that are "bitten" by the rimfire bug it may truly seem that you HAVE to do dozens of mods to have an acceptable shooter,but the real truth is that most of these modifications only tune a great little 1022 into a realy great one.Your fajen sporter stock has a "rise" or pressure point in the barrel channel to help support the barrel.
For what its worth I recommend spending your time behind the trigger and money on more ammo untill you feel the gun is holding you back.Then make the fine tuning mods such as bedding.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
marksman1022 said:
Yes it is ok to shoot it with out bedding.You may even find that your accuraccy is plenty good ,with the right ammo, with out bedding.By reading some of the posts here by us that are "bitten" by the rimfire bug it may truly seem that you HAVE to do dozens of mods to have an acceptable shooter,but the real truth is that most of these modifications only tune a great little 1022 into a realy great one.Your fajen sporter stock has a "rise" or pressure point in the barrel channel to help support the barrel.
For what its worth I recommend spending your time behind the trigger and money on more ammo untill you feel the gun is holding you back.Then make the fine tuning mods such as bedding.:D
Thanks for the advice. I know it's easy to spend a lot of money on these things (guns in general)...in my case, I don't have that much money, so I'm safe for now from "overdoing" it.

That's good news to me, because I'm dying to shoot the rifle. I'll get the scope mounted and maybe adjusted tonight, then go buy a couple of bricks of ammo for the weekly Sunday afternoon shooting spree.

The action functions well now (no misfeeds unless VERY dirty, and not many even then), only thing that bothers me is the trigger-its heavy and creepy.

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, ID

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Marksmans post pretty well sums it up. There are probably a thousand non-bedded 10/22's for every one that is. They do plenty good. It's just that there are some of us that demand every lick of accuracy that is possibly available that go the extra steps. Sometimes Those little tricks pay off in spades, and other times, except for trigger mods, they don't seem to shake the earth too much.

All depends on how picky you are.

Ron

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ben the most common fix to the heavy trigger is a Volquartsen hammer,it can be had for about $33.00 from one of our sponsors.It will lighten your trigger pull and feel so much better you wont believe it and will probably be satisfied forever with it,as for us that are "bitten"the options go from the VQ with the jb weld trick and pre and post travel screws added (can be done at home for just a few dollars more than the hammer alone)up to a Kidd trigger($289.00-$325.00).I would start with the VQ and go from there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys !

I got the thing together Sunday (finish had dried finally). Put an old 4x Leopold M8 over a T09 base with Millet medium rings.

I got out to a friends house yesterday afternoon (he lives outside the city) and put a brick of Blazer through the rifle.

It shoots pretty darned well ! The trigger has got to be the next fix, though. It's OK for hitting beer cans etc. out to 50 yards, but precision target work is tough with it. Must be 10 pounds !

I didn't have a bench rest, so groups were OK, but not spectactular. At 25 yards I could put a whole mag into one ragged hole. At 50 I could put 2-3 into one ragged hole then I'd start missing.

What most impressed me though was shooting at 100 to 200 yards at small rocks. Once I got the elevation doped (windage too, the wind was blowing hard across the range) I could hit them very consistently. Once the wind died down later in the evening, I was really impressed.

I have a friend here who has been accurizing 10/22s for many years. He offered to do a trigger job for me (he uses stones etc.), and to bed the rifle. I'm holding off on the bedding for now, but I may take him up on the trigger job. Either that or splurge on the VQ target hammer.

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, Idaho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.