Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I looked at, the more I realized that it was in pretty good shape except for the cracks in the butt stock. I sent some photos to ASA and he agrees it's better than I had described. The tang sight is a Marbles and ASA suggested that I look at the underside of it to see if it's a fairly rare "WB". I guess I got a good deal for $199 :D Heck, I got a 100 year old Winchester! :t

I ordered some new production 22 auto ammo direct from "Old Western Scrounger". $12.95 box, 116.55 brick, $800 cs ...He said that he has about 230,000 rounds left. 1-800-UPS-AMMO if you're interested.

A big thank you to all that gave me advice...even you BOLSEN2! :D

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Good for you.I think you'll like it.I have a rather rare one thats mint and has an original factory installed silencer adapter on it made in 1917.Shoots really fast and is accurate.I buy most of my ammo at the gun shows single box at a time.I usually get good deals on it when a vendor only has one box on their table.They want to get rid of it.Most of the time $10.00.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took the tang sight off and it is a Marbles "WB". No idea what the value is, but was told that they were kind of rare and worth about what I paid for the rifle.

The butt stock worries me. After taking off the sight I was able to see why there is a gap on one side of the tang. The crack is deep and about 2" long starting from the tang back. I hope my gunsmith can repair this bad one, the several other minor cracks on the side, and the double starting from the back/bottom of the butt plate. If not I'll see about putting another stock on it.

I'll feel better once I get a professionals opinion on the wood and take it to the range. I've got a pretty good looking 100 year old rifle, except for the butt stock, but I don't want the stock splitting in two and falling off the first time I shoot it. :D Do any of you think replacing the stock will hurt or improve the value? It wil probably add a couple hundred out of my pocket. :D

I ordered a brick of the Old Western Scrounger ammo. I don't plan on shooting the rifle on a regular basis, but wanted some new production stuff to use since the bore is shiny and crisp.

I guess I got the "bug", I'm already starting to be obsessive.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
vepr762,
I recently repaired a stock that had a 6" crack from the front of the stock going back at an angle. I used gorilla glue (The toughest glue on the planet!). After gluing, I bound the stock very, very tightly with some old cotton cord, wrapping it at least a couple dozen times. Worked like a charm and I cant even find the crack now unless the light hits it just right. The key to using gorilla glue is to get the wood down inside the crack moist with water first, then getting the glue worked as far down in the crack as possible. I used 'glue laden' kite string on the wider part of the crack and dental floss on the hairline portion. If you can get the water and glue where they need to be, and bind it together tightly, it will stay.

Good luck with your stock!

azimuth

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Gorilla glue

azimuth-I'm in total agreement with your use and technique concerning Gorilla glue. I've used it for stock repairs for quite some time and have found it's as strong as the original wood. I'd add only one step: it does expand once it starts to set (the water is very important) and will ooze out of the crack under repair. It's important to wipe this excess off before it dries; if not done, this bead of glue will be as hard as iron and have to be sanded off, which can hurt the surrounding wood surfaces. Just get it while it's still tacky. -Asa

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting really happy now

My gunsmith said he could repair the stock and pin it from the inside. He also said he has restored old Winchester wood, as it was done in that period. Total cost for restoring forend and buttstock $150 - $175. He normally likes to use Epoxy, but if there is too much Break Free he will use Gorilla Glue. He said definitely not to get an aftermarket stock. The will never look like an original.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
asa,

You're absolutely right about wiping away the excess glue as it expands. That is an important step that I should'nt have negelected. The more glue and water, the more it will ooze, but the better it will bond.

thanks for catchin' that,
azimuth

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A W"8" is what it must be because it looks like a W"B". Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to wait and see what my 'smith says about the wood finish. 3 people have physically seen it and 2 have said it is original finish, one spent a good 5-10 minutes looking it over and said it's been refinished.

The old 0000 steel wool and Break Free trick really restored the blueing. :t Thanks ASA.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Winchester 1903 stock

Hi vepr762,

You may be interested to know that there is an original buttstock for sale right now for the Winchester Model 1903 at www.gunsamerica.com. Look up Item #976610689. I think the price is $145. Do a search for "winchester 1903 stock". It might be cheaper than getting your original repaired. :)

Hossfeathers

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will cost me about the same to have ALL the wood repaired and restored as the buttstock alone with shipping.

Thanks though, I really appreciate the heads up.

I probably won't even be able to shoot it for at least another 3-4 weeks. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.