Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot three woodchucks...ahhh check that...groundhogs this afternoon.

1st one - 127 yrds, quartering towards = head shot.

2nd one - 188 yrds, broadside = miss high.

3rd one - 148 yrds, head on = front of chest.

4th one - 90 yrds, seen me and ran, no shot.

5th one - 153 yrds, facing away  = 1st shot Texas heart shot, ran about 10 feet, stopped broadside, 2nd shot through both lungs.

Rifle:     H&R Ultra 22 barrel
Scope:  Leupold 3X9-50 w/2" sunshade
Bipod:   Harris BR
Back bipod: Own design cross-sticks
Ammo:  Win. Supreme 34gr.

Well, this  my second season of hunting the "elusive" North American Groundhog with a 22 magnum. The three previous years had been with a bow and arrow.
Before that, I had shot them with .223, 22-250, .243, & 25-06 at ranges from 50-475 yards (with most being in the 200-300 yard range)

Hunting with the 22 magnum is definately more challenging than with the centerfires. I hunted a good 3 hours this afternoon in this 200 acre rolling winter wheat field. About 90% of the time I was "belly crawling" on wet ground.

One thing is for certain, the successful kills were far more satisfying with that 22 magnum than if they had been with a 22 centerfire. It still amazes me how those 22 mag bullets put a wallop on them hogs beyond 100 yards.

Im going to try than CCI TNTs for my next hunting excursion.

Keeeraaaack.....................thaawuuump.........

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
 Real_bow:
  Thats some good hog hunting
I most of the time wait untill june before I start my hog shooting,but some of them ask for it early. Ha!
 More targets after the little ones come out.
 Good luck & Good shootin
PS: YOU got a range finder ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I am fortunate to have 4 farms to bowhunt on, all are over 300 acres in size. When the chucks start thawing out from the Ohio winter, I am usually there waiting for them. Most of the fields I hunt on are surrounded by woods. And Ill be the first to tell you that the woods are loaded with chucks, I shot three during last years bow season from my treestand!!

So, as far as depleting the "future" targets, I reckon the chucks in the woods will move out to the "choice" den sites in the fields.

And yes, I do have an "old" Bushnell 400 rangefinder. But, Im thinking about getting one of the newer smaller versions.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
 Realbow;
 Ive shot a few chucks with a bow , but man they sure can mess up some arrows.
 I think the 22mag or the new 17 RF is the way to go.
 The 17 if a person limits himself to good clear shots should make a good backyard crow and chuck rifle.
 Most of the country is so populated now, and people dont like the muzzle blast of 22/250
.223 etc.
 Im still not desided on 17 yet.
 I may pop a few chucks myself
after weed and grass grows hard to get a shot at them.
Goodluck & Goodshootin

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

Hey Sid...I think you created a webmaster? monster!!!

Hee..hee...Thanks for giving me the idea:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/realbow/buck1.html

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Re: How bout chuck help...

Hello all,
I live in northern central Minnesota. It seems like there is not very many chucks around here. I usually, if Im watching, maybe see one or two chucks a year. The ground is sandy in most places, lots of swamps and very wooded. We do have many little farms around the surronding area, and I know many of the farmers. Beans, pasture, clover, and corn all seem to be the most popular fields. What should I be looking for, if anything. We do have some rye and wheat fields but not many. I found one last year in a clover field but by the time I found his hole and had time to shoot him a dog had killed him. Very :( dissappointed, and then the dog didnt even hang around for me to shoot him. I just found the chucks carcass and hide laying on the edge of the field.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dean___311,

I feel your pain man!!!

I wish we had ground squirrels and prairie dogs in Ohio like you wish you guys chucks in Minnesota.

My best summer of chuckin occured about 8 years ago. I think I shot close to 300+ with a 22-250, .243, and 25-06. Funny think about are Ohio buzzards, usually after the first two of three shots, them daggone buzzards would be circling like someone rang the ol dinner bell!!

Anyways, maybe you should make a trip out west (out west has gotta be closer to you than me) and hunt some of them varmints.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey dean i live in new jersey and alot of the time groundhogs will have there dens in hedgerows between feilds and fencerows they are mostly still in there  night sets (in the woods ) out here but as the weather warms up i will start seeing them in there day sets (in the fields) they should be having there babies soon good luck kw

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey RealBow, as another central/southeast Ohio hunter I know how much fun the ol hogs are to shoot. My longest shot to date has been 423 yards (****,77 yards too close!), and my closest has been about 10 yards. Funny though, the close shot has a better story to it. A buddy and I were trying to wait out a stubborn hogon a local farm, sitting in some brush on the fencerowof the field. They way the field lays we were also on a rolling hillside near the crest. We finally gave up on the hog and stood up. I turned around and there was another hog right behind us just over the crest of the hill, standing up, and facing away. To this day I dont know how he didnt hear us. As smart as they are i dont know how this dumb one lived past infancy. I shouldered my gun, but at such a close range I had to stop and think where to aim! I settled the crosshairs on the top of his head and let the Win Supreme 34gr fly. I slightly dislocated his head, at the base of the neck! Glad I shot when i did, cuz my buddy was about .000005 seconds away from beating me to him! I think we laughed a solid ten minutes. On the smaller farms i hunt here locally i use my 77/22mag or my 22Hornet in again, a 77/22. If Im further south in Hocking county, i pull out all the stops with my savage 112FV in 22-250. I have taken them with my aftermarket 10/22 and my 581,  but prefer to anchor them with a little more punch. If you ever end up surrounded by these critters and need someone to cover your back, lemme know!

Let me know how the TNTs work, i have a box but havent opened them since my 77/22 likes the Win Supreme so much (sub-inch @100yd on calm day).

Seems I have diarrhea of the mouth, so ill go for now.

Good Shootin All!!

T

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hmm,
.17 to base of head,  question is will it detach the head?

Food for thought.
Dean_311

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.