Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D'OH!

I got denied my Class A license from my hometown.
Apparently, its town policy to severely restrict Class A licensing for new shooters, such as myself (new licensee as opposed to a renewal). I was unable to convince the officer that I absolutely felt it was necessary to carry a concealed pistol on my person, had a high-risk job, or worked in law enforcement or security.

So I got bumped to a Class B.

Which is honestly ok by me. The only reason I went Class A was to keep my options open -- so that I could buy what I wanted when I wanted.

The only real restrictions are that I can't carry a concealed pistol (wasn't going to anyway), and can't purchase or possess a large-capacity pistol (over 10 rounds), which is no big deal.

He said I could appeal, but I doubt I will. I can purchase and own any rifle I want, which is all I really wanted in the first place. I can still purchase any revolver I want, and most .22 target pistols are only 10 round magazines anyway, right?

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hopefully no one used my fingerprints to commit a crime (a paranoia I pin on too many cop shows), my background check goes ok, and I should be licenced within a month! Then I can finally purchase my **** 10/22 and start shooting!

-brew

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
an FID card at least, yes. For low capacity long guns.
A restricted FID card, I think lets you buy mace.

Class B is a general hunting-caliber license (you still need to get a hunting license, this is just for the guns). Any capacity long gun and low-capacity pistols.

Class A is a licence to carry. Concealed is all that's allowed, by the way. Having a pistol on the streets visible can land you in trouble.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Brew

I live in MA as well, in our great Commonwealth it is viewed as a privledge not a right......which in my mind is a little F'd up anyway. I was able to qualify for a Class A for "all lawful purposes" on my first try.

If I were you I would look into fighting for the Class A with restrictions or the full boat. Besides the principal of the thing many benign guns have more than a ten round capacity. My Marlin Model 60 holds 17 rounds in the tube magazine.....it isn't like it is an "assault weapon", which is a another BS problem.

What town are you from? I'm in Attleboro.

R

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Class B allows me any rifle I want, which is all I really care about.
I'm not sure I even want to appeal.. I really dont care if I can't get a 15 round pistol (although the 9mm my friend has is pretty cool.. especially with the 150 grain rounds :D )

I'm from Baldwinville originally (part of Templeton) but live mostly in Lowell now. Eventually I'll probably have my residence legally changed to there. After graduation I guess.

·
Registered
472 Posts
WOW!!! Really makes those of us in less-restrictive states appreciate what we have! I just take it for granted that I can drive all over the State of Texas, stop in a local gun or pawn shop and say, "I'll take one of those" and it happens. Yes, I do have to go through the Brady check, but I'm one of the lucky ones, never had a Brady check take over 10 minutes, even at a gun show.

I've even gone to the neighboring states and picked-out guns, called one of my local dealers to handle the paperwork, left my money and usually had my new gun shortly after returning home.

This is a perfect example of why we ALL need to belong to the NRA and our local state rifle associations.

Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tell me about it

MA is a little too liberal.....I swear I have no idea what people are trying to do with the whole assault weapon & high capacity bans etc. Not that I feel I need a 30 round clip to hunt but still (well maybe if you say some of my shots offhand).

Like getting shot with a .30-06 hurts less than an AR-15 in .223 or the 11-15th bullet are the real killers the first 10 in the clip don't hurt as much. Please.

The restrictive laws in MA haven't slowed me much, I have gotten my rifles within 30 minutes and I haven't purchased a pistol yet.

The real thing I notice is that I feel awkward carrying my rifles from my car to the house sometimes....in MA I am looked at as someone to be watched because I enjoy firearms. It isn't outright, but it is something that I wouldn't really bring up at a cocktail party with people I don't know. Automatic stereotype.

R

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Texas, they have "shall issue" concealed carry.
This means they have to show a reason why you shouldn't; you don't have to show them some reason why you should be allow to exercise your God-given rights. The do attach a mandatory day long course with a good review of all the laws, a written test and a shooting test, but I can't complain about that.

The neat thing is that not only does this give you the right to carry concealed, but now you have proof that you have undergone appropriate law enforcement scrutiny, and are no longer even required to wait for the Brady check.

When I make my lunch hour gun shop rounds, if I find something I 'need' I can fill out the paperwork and walk out with it right away. They don't even need to call in for a specific Brady check as I've already been run much more thoroughly than that anyway.
Even works at WallyWorld. Plus when they see your concealed carry license they even have you check their paperwork for them.

I'm thankful to live in a truely civilized state.
We even wave at stranger when driving our trucks...

·
Registered
472 Posts
OK, "Full Metal Jacket" references aside, the saying is partly true. There are only two things that come from Texas... The Greatest People on Earth and those trying desperately to get back to Texas :D

Seriously, we do take a lot for granted down here. When I hear the horror stories that some of my friends in other parts of the country and, even worse, the friends that I have overseas, tell me about the lack of gun rights, I'm very thankful that I'm where I'm at! I've personally never owned an "assault weapon", just never found a need for one in my shooting, but NOBODY has the right to tell me I don't need one!

Actually, it would be kind of funny, since my version of an "assault weapon" is a really slick 1866 Winchester repro from Cimarron in .44 Special with a tang sight. Puts EVERY shot right where I want them. And I can back it up with my "high cap" Ruger or Cimarron single actions in the same caliber! All tuned slick as glass, sights registered to 25 yard POI, and all firing that lovely 240 grain lead SWC. Oh well, to each his own.

Bill

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's pretty good here in Missouri, though the governor hasn't decided if he will veto the concealed carry bill that passed both houses recently. He says he will, even though it passed by a large majority. We'll see.

But you can carry in open sight. Course, if you were to go strolling on the streets of downtown St. Louis with a 44 mag in a Dirty Harry shoulder holster, I'm sure the police would come over and have a little chat with you. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
While I love New England, the liberal attitude had taken over. It is slowly getting away from the far left...but it will always lean that way in MA. NH, ME, VT seem to be much more shooter and hunter friendly.

The good news is that if you have a MA License to Carry it pretty much carries weight in the surrounding states since our laws are so tight.

I know right after 9/11 the firearms school classes were packed every saturday for several months. Police Chiefs started going to a Class A with restrictions (can't carry) to try to "weed out the loose cannons".

R

·
Registered
746 Posts
In Michigan, you fill out a yellow sheet of paper, get approved within a couple minutes and voila: you have yourself a nice rifle.

For handguns (each and every one) you have to fill out a handgun purchase permit request form ($5) and wait (it only takes 2 days where I live!). After you pick up your purchase permit, you have 10 days to buy and register the handgun.

I've been told that if you get a concealed weapon permit that you don't need to get a handgun purchase permit anymore. IF you buy enough handguns and have time to wait (about 6 months to process) you'll save money ($20 one time fee for the concealed permit vs $5 per handgun permit)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Boy! I'm glad I live in Washington. Our constitution is less ambiguous than the federal constitution, when it comes to gun rights. That isn't to say that I believe the federal constitution is ambiguous, but there is that stuff about militias in the Second Ammendment that gives the stupid liberals something to go nuts about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like a lot of things about this state... a lot of history, we get every single type of weather (yes I love snow even when having to shovel 5 feet of it, yes I love the heat.. even though I hate it, it makes the women wear less ;)), there's lots to do and see, all the good parts of Boston are available right off the T (mass transit system).. but the laws amaze and astound me sometimes. And the fact that Harshbarger was able to pull off banning guns with his little "public safety" bit (without needing ANY vote or say from anyone else) sort of burns me. Here I thought he had a democracy. I'm still too young and idealistic I guess.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In Tennessee it's never taken me longer than 15 minutes to buy a long gun or a pistol. Same in Kentucky.

Only thing is with a TN drivers liscense, I can't guy a pistol in KY and vice-versa.

I've griped about that enough (I live right on the border). I guess I didn't realize how lucky I was.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
MDN, unless I'm mistaken, THAT's a federal law.

Here in Alabama, there's no state laws that I know of concerning what guns you can or cannot buy, just the federal ones. I am not sure if we're a "Shall Issue" state concerning concealed, but unless you have a criminal record, I've never known anyone who COULDN'T get his CCW. (Sheriff's dept does a background check looking for any outstanding warrants, you give them $20 and they give you your Lic.) We also have a reciprocy(sp?)agreement with 12 other states. I don't remember them all, but I know that Tn is our only neighbor that's not part of it.

Brew,
yes I love the heat.. even though I hate it, it makes the women wear less
Then you should try living in a college town in the SOUTH;) :t
mid to upper 90's and 90%+ humidity
I was talking to a friend in Michigan the other night and their HIGHS were about the same as our LOWS:(
Paul

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could never live in the south.
I'd melt.
You know all those "stereotype about heat" lists?
They're true for the most part.
IMO, 50 degrees and raining is good T-shirt weather. Maybe shorts depending on how much wind.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.