Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m new to 3 p shooting. Im from the benchrest tactical shooting world. A club member lent me his stand. I have a basic understanding of its use. Rest the rifle between offhand shots.
Is there a general rule of hight. Place it a little low and pick the rifle up off the stand and replace when done. Or shoulder hight and just slide it off towards the target and lift it back up. Just trying to keep from burning myself out. I’m a handicapped shooter and can’t kneel or sit, so I have to shoot 2 offhand and 1 prone each match.
Thanks you.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The idea is to limit your physical output over a long period of time (shooting is an endurance sport rather than strength sport). So get it set close enough and high enough to have a small amount of movement from the stand to your position.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Exactly, you want it out of your mind and way while shooting, and comfortable while mentally preparing for your next shot, one shot at a time, good scores are made one shot at a time.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
A little low seems to be better, so as to be able to better see your loading process, but probably not more than 12 inches. I've seen shooters with their stands offset to the side but that presents problems in possibly facing the muzzle outside the range fan.

Edited to add: If you already have a scope stand for a spotting scope (and it is on a 5/8 rod) and wish to also use it as an offhand stand (rather than paying around $160 for a dedicated offhand rest on Champions Choice), then I have a deal for you. A free pole topper, turns your 5/8 scope stand into a rest. See my PIF thread at https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188175. Still have several on hand if anyone else wants one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts