Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I spent more than I wanted too on my wifes new CZ American, I needed to replace the little Simmons scope with something worthy of the rifle.
My goal was a scope that would ride close to the bore, she would be happy with, and would give the rifle a chance to stretch it's legs out to the 50 yards she would be using it.
I tried a Dusk to Dawn Bushnell, a Banner, then the 3200. None would sit right without either being to high over the bore resulting in POI changes at minimal distances or too low that the action got in the way.
After I got fed up and had way too much money wrapped up in scopes I stopped by Wall Mart and picked up the $60 Tasco, I held my head low all the way to the cash register and paid my dues.
This scope fit well, remained accurate through a box of shells and she got a big smile when she raised the rifle to her face. She is happy, I am happy and I bet I am the first guy to spend almost $1000 to end up with a Tasco, a bottom of the barrel Tasco.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you get a thousand into a 452 American?
That rifle here in Canada retails for about $550, I got mine for a steal at $450.
Here is the kicker.. When I said I had that much invested I wasn't even talking about the rifle, I was talking about the scopes and ring combinations I have tried in the past 48 hours.
I have a rifle bench full of scopes, rings, screws, bubble wrap and boxes. And to top it all off I have a cheesy little scope on top of one of the nicest rimfire rifles I have seen.

Varmintshooter has the right idea, no use letting perfectly good scopes go to waste, I need more rifles.:) It has been a terribly expensive week, I was not ready for that.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I have a couple of Tasco World Class 3x9x40 non AO scopes on rimfires. I did the home parralax adjustment down to about 45 yards, and they have become very acceptable scopes. I leave them on the same rifle so that I don't have to make many adjustments, and they serve me well.:bthumb:

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
Can you elaborate on this a bit? I like what you are saying, I just don't understand it. :)
There is a locking ring that holds the objective lense in. You can loosen this ring, then turn the ring that the lense is attached to, either in or out, to make it parallax free for a given yardage. There are instructions here somewhere, and I know someone will post you a link to them soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see, I think..:)
This scope has no adjustment on the eyepiece, nor the bell. My Bushnell allows the rear of the scope to be adjusted to clarify the crosshairs and on the bell to adjust for parallax.
I have the instructions here, it is new so I will dig in to those.
Thanks for the help and quick response.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pyd, many scopes that don't have adjustable objectives (the bell) can still be adjusted for parallax. If you look closely at the objective, you will notice what looks like a trim ring at the outer edge. That actually locks the lense in position. If you can unscrew the trim ring you will see an exposed threaded portion. By turning it slightly, you can adjust the parallax. Reinstall the trim / lock ring and tighten and now the scope is set for a new parallax distance. I can do this easily on cheap Bushnell scopes.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Pyd, many scopes that don't have adjustable objectives (the bell) can still be adjusted for parallax. If you look closely at the objective, you will notice what looks like a trim ring at the outer edge. That actually locks the lense in position. If you can unscrew the trim ring you will see an exposed threaded portion. By turning it slightly, you can adjust the parallax. Reinstall the trim / lock ring and tighten and now the scope is set for a new parallax distance. I can do this easily on cheap Bushnell scopes.
That's pretty much exactly what I did. Don't know if it's necessary, but when I'm all done I slip a large o ring around the objective end of the scope between the scope and that trim ring and tighten it down hand tight. Kind of to ensure that it's sealed and stays put. There is a thread on this forum that goes into this process at great length. A search on parralax adjustment should find it. I've done it on many scopes, from Nikon to Tasco to Konus. It's a very good way to adapt a centerfire scope to a rimfire.:bthumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leupy may be the way to go

I have had two scopes on my American. By the way, they are the only two leupold scopes I have ever owned. The first was the Leupold 3-9x33 VX-II Rimfire E.F.R. Riflescope which has just been replaced with the Leupold 2-7x28 VX-I Rimfire Riflescope. The first was about $350 and the second was $200. I like the fit of the smaller one better and was able to move the 3-9 to a 7mm-08. Anyways, I mounted the little guy in short millett angle-loc rings and the 28mm objective and the eyepiece just clear the bolt and action. Again, I know these are expensive, but I just couldn't find the size (and weight) in any other scope and elected to equip the rifle I enjoy, and am able to shoot, the most.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.