Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nylon 66 - what's old is new again!

828 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  grandparem
I was at the range this past weekend, trying a couple Mossy's at the hundred yard line. It had gotten a bit busy, so instead of waiting to go 'cold' to move my targets back in to fifty yards, I decided to try the Nylon at one hundred yards. I really didn't expect too much. I had changed scopes (again!) as they just don't seem to hold POA.
I had put on an old Weaver 2-7X20 (I think) with 1/2" click adjusters - can't remember where I got the old relic, but it looks good on the Apache Black Nylon 66.
I loaded up some Dynapoints, and got her ballparked shooting at 'stuff' on the 110 yard berm. Then, I shot her on paper.
Whoowee! I'm getting three inch groups at one hundred yards! Not bad for this little gun.
I kept shooting, expecting the usual 'walkin off' as the scope shifted. Never happened. This baby is shooting consistently. Best groups approached two inches, using CCI Minimags and Winchester Experts! Very not bad. ;-)
Never a bobble either, with four different types of ammo. These Nylons live up to their reputation!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
836 Posts
Bigdog said:
I was at the range this past weekend, trying a couple Mossy's at the hundred yard line. It had gotten a bit busy, so instead of waiting to go 'cold' to move my targets back in to fifty yards, I decided to try the Nylon at one hundred yards. I really didn't expect too much. I had changed scopes (again!) as they just don't seem to hold POA.
I had put on an old Weaver 2-7X20 (I think) with 1/2" click adjusters - can't remember where I got the old relic, but it looks good on the Apache Black Nylon 66.
I loaded up some Dynapoints, and got her ballparked shooting at 'stuff' on the 110 yard berm. Then, I shot her on paper.
Whoowee! I'm getting three inch groups at one hundred yards! Not bad for this little gun.
I kept shooting, expecting the usual 'walkin off' as the scope shifted. Never happened. This baby is shooting consistently. Best groups approached two inches, using CCI Minimags and Winchester Experts! Very not bad. ;-)
Never a bobble either, with four different types of ammo. These Nylons live up to their reputation!
BigDog,

Yeah I always knew the the old Remington were made better than these fancy new 597's that are plaqued with much problems. I also try to collect them whe I get a few bucks to spend. It's my opinion that Remington made a big mistake in stopping manufacturing these fine rifles. They're rock solid rifles that last forever and the nylon parts last longer than these fancy new plastics they use now a days. Piece out!

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
381 Posts
Why no more nylons....

I was in the plastic industry when Remington was making these. They stopped making them because the dies plumb wore out. They sold them to CBC(it was a different name back then) of Brazil, who managed to get a few thousand more out of them.
It would have cost alot of money to make new dies, etc. so the price of the gun would have been too high. Also the supply of that particular plastic was drying up. There were alot of problems with it. The new nylon or plastic material wasn't usable at that price range.
So what you would have ended up with at that time was a gun made from a different material, and a much higher price and there still wouldn't have been a good way to keep a scope aligned properly.

· Registered
836 Posts
Slowalkintexan said:
I was in the plastic industry when Remington was making these. They stopped making them because the dies plumb wore out. They sold them to CBC(it was a different name back then) of Brazil, who managed to get a few thousand more out of them.
It would have cost alot of money to make new dies, etc. so the price of the gun would have been too high. Also the supply of that particular plastic was drying up. There were alot of problems with it. The new nylon or plastic material wasn't usable at that price range.
So what you would have ended up with at that time was a gun made from a different material, and a much higher price and there still wouldn't have been a good way to keep a scope aligned properly.
I've heard/read that also. It's still a big shame that these fine rifles can't get produced all because if the dies wearing-out. In this world of many more plastic types in existance I still think Rem should rethink making them again.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would've liked to see a new design, similar to the Model 66, but modernised/updated. The action maybe could've been simplified some, fewer parts, a big enough production run would lower the unit cost - if the rifle worked well enough to sell good!
Maybe even a combination of the 66 and 552 designs.

Ah well, a guy can dream . . .

· Registered
15 Posts
How do you date them? Mine has the tube feed through the stock and a Weaver C4 scope. There are a few letters under the name... looks like XAU with a 34 under it. It has one of the best stock triggers I have used... about 4 1/2 lbs.

Thanks

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DCB, check the sticky post at the top of the Remington page for the Manufacturers Date Codes.
My Apache Black is dated '75, while my Mohawk Brown is '87 or '88.
The black one looks more worn outside, but shoots best. Maybe the later gun suffers from worn machinery it was made on?

· Registered
7,290 Posts
DCB said:
How do you date them? Mine has the tube feed through the stock and a Weaver C4 scope. There are a few letters under the name... looks like XAU with a 34 under it. It has one of the best stock triggers I have used... about 4 1/2 lbs.

Thanks
DCB,

I recently had a similar question on dates and was told the 3rd letter is an inspectors letter. So this would make your's X= Dec. and A= 1980 and U being an inspector. This would make sense to me as I don't think X was ever used anywhere else.

g'pa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.