Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nylon 11 parts question

357 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  markpixs
I recently lucked into a nylon 11 bolt action clip feed for $45 at a flea market but it's missing the magazine, magazine retainer and other hardware. It shoots great, for iron sights but would like to replace the missing parts. Will 511 parts work on this rifle? Looking on e-parts there are early and late versions for the 511, am guessing the late model are the correct parts. From the barrel marking it's a Dec. pre-68 (no s/n) the other letter is badly stamped and can't make it out. Any help would be much appreciated. I looks good next to my 10-C and nylon 66. Love those plastic Remingtons.
Thanks, Markpixs
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Nylon 11 parts

Can't tell you for sure about the 511 vs. Nylon 11 but I believe the difference between early and late in the 513 (all have the same receiver housing but may have different holes ) is the early magazine retainer mounts with machine screws to an alluminum block in the receiver and the later one mounts with wood screws to the stock. Magazine is the same for early and late. Also, unless you have lots of patience and are good at adjusting magazine feed lips, stay away from aftermarkets with an Ron the bottom... they will drive you crazy. I have about 5 of them in both 6 and 10 round and not one of them works with any of my 51X series.

34,878 Posts
I too have a Nylon11. Did you look only in the 511 section at E-Gunparts as the Nylon11 has it's own section WAY down the page. The 11 was only made for two years encompassing '62 '63 and '64. Only a little over 20,000 of these rifles were made. My barrel is stamped AJH. That mag holder attaches directly to the action on the 11 so that might help you. Feel free to contact me if you feel I can help. Also you might want to keep your eyes open as Beginning next week I will be starting a project based on my Nylon 11. Hope I can help, Vince.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on my rifle, I broke out the magnifying glass and it's stamped x j so that's Dec. 62, right? I checked the e-parts Nylon 11 page and it didn't have the full breakdown on the action. The factory N-11 exploded diagram of the rifle shows the parts and numbers but they're not the same as the 511 e-gunparts diagram. The Nylon 11 diagram shows the mag lock as 596, screw as 15307 and mag lock spacer as 15312. Does a Remington 511 diagram show the same numbers? I looks like the lock machine screws to the action. What's the best way to get the action out of the stock for a closer look? Vincent looking forward to seeing the project.

34,878 Posts
Now for some bad news. To get the action out of the stock the barrel must be pulled!! I know, I hated it when I found out too. If you look at the top front of the action where the barrel enters it you will see a pin. You must drive that pin out from left to right. This is best done with two people. I like doing it on a stack of folded towels or some such. One person holds the rifle steady and the other taps the pin out. Remove the bolt and pull the barrel out. Again it is better with two people. one holding the gun and the other pulling the barrel out. Then you just loosen the take down screw and lift action out.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on getting into the Nylon. When you say drive it out left to right do you mean drive it from the non-bolt side so the pin goes out in the direction of an ejected case? I may just leave this as a semi-fun single shot for now. Sounds like a lot more trouble than working on the Nylon 66 and 10-C. Thanks again.

34,878 Posts
Yes. most pins and dovetails on American made guns are designed to be driven from left to right if there is a difference so I just do them all that way unless I have instructions to do otherwise. Most dovetails for instance are slightly taperer that way. So as you say....non bolt side to ejection side.

34,878 Posts
I have found photographic proof that Remington did inded make the 11 in both 19.5" and 24". I even saved the picture to My Pictures in Windows but I have no idea of how to post it here. So I did get a stock Nylon 11 barrel

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great to know as I prowl pawn shops and dealers looking for more Nylons. If you ever post a photo of your custom Nylon 17 let me know.
Vincent said:
I have found photographic proof that Remington did inded make the 11 in both 19.5" and 24". I even saved the picture to My Pictures in Windows but I have no idea of how to post it here. So I did get a stock Nylon 11 barrel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.