Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trying out an NRL-22 match or two locally and I have a few questions

Which is better bolt action or semi-auto (I am thinking bolt)
Heavy barrel or Sporter barrel (Heavy barrel for balance and accuracy?)
BDC or Tree reticle (not sure this matters if you know your marks and distances), but I have heard you may not have time to dial in distances in some events.

If you were going to buy one of these chassis rifles to use in NRL-22 which would you pick?

Savage precision B22
Savage Precision A22 (Semi-auto)
Ruger Precision Rimfire

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bolt would be better. You can use a semi, but it makes transitioning between positions within a stage more difficult since you have to engage the safety, call out safe, move, undo the safety, shoot, repeat. With a bolt gun, you open the bolt, move, close the bolt, shoot, etc. Then there's the debatable accuracy advantage of a bolt gun over a semi.

Tree for sure. Targets will be at random distances. The 4 or 5 marks in a bdc reticle are for 4 or 5 distances. Which is fine if the targets happen to be at those distances. But chances are they won't. A tree will have a bunch of marks so you'll have any distance covered.

Not used any of those rifles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve just recently gotten in to NRL 22. Started last Sept and am having a blast once a month at each of the matches. I take something from each event. Squads help polish me as well as some banter it’s fun so I hope you get involved and have fun with it.

I use a CZ 457 in a Boyd’s laminate stock. Went with a Vortex 4x14x44 tactical FFP scope that has a tree reticle to hold over for multiple targets on a stage and hold for wind at distance. There are many different flavors of rifles at the matches. I’ve seen Tikka T1x , Savage , Ruger Precision , CZ 455 , 457 , Bergara , and Voodoo. Per NRL rules you can stay in base class if the rifle and optic is under $1200.

So I’d recommend rifle , sling , bipod ,and some sand bags of different flavors to help you out. Good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Scope should be FFP, either in either MOA or MIL.
I shoot Semi, don't mind the "Safe" procedures (quick with practice - easy to click the safety on and off), rifle does not get as positionally disrupted between multiple shots from a single position where bolts require hand/arm/rifle movement, and Semi's probably more often have a speed advantage, not disadvantage.

As for accuracy, the best Semi will likely not be as good as the best bolt, but a Semi can easily be built to a precision level exceeding the shooting requirements of a NRL22 match. But hey, shoot what you would like. Both are a lot of fun.

PS - I would recommend a 10/22 if you go Semi as there is a world of aftermarket parts. A good barrel, trigger and bedding and you can not only compete, you can win.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool,

Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated.

now to pick and find the rifle to use. I have one or two I could probably use already, but, it is always fun to get new ones.

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you already have something, use it. Scope and all.

After you do the first match, get a FFP scope with a tree, or at least a mil hash reticle. You'll have a lot better idea of what is going on and what you need to play the game efficiently.

At the last match I was at, probably 2/3 of all the rifles there were CZ's. The majority of the rest were split between Bergaras and Vudoos. There was one semi. There was one timed stage where a semi would have had a clear advantage, and the one semi didn't win. Otherwise, no advantage.

·
Registered
364 Posts
When you have to shoot targets at varying distances, on the clock, in the same stage, a FFP scope with a "tree reticle" is necessary. A mil-dot or multiple hash mark scope is very little help. Many use the Votex Diamondback. You could probably get by with 16x on the upper end, but most get the 6x24. The Tikka T1x has been spectacular for the money, Several Ruger performance center 10-22s at our matches, and they seem to shoot great. I think that should keep you in base class, but who really cares, we go just to have fun, right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you already have something, use it. Scope and all.

After you do the first match, get a FFP scope with a tree, or at least a mil hash reticle. You'll have a lot better idea of what is going on and what you need to play the game efficiently.
This this this. Whatever you have, go to the match and shoot it. Worry about what to buy after figuring out how to shoot a match. The first couple matches can be pretty overwhelming if you're completely new, but once you figure it out you'll have a much better idea of what will work for you. Plus you'll get to talk with other people at the match, see what works for them, and maybe get some trigger time with their equipment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my experience, other shooters are more than willing to assist new shooters. The first match I attended, I went planning to "watch and learn". Two of the shooters in the squad I was following offered to let me shoot their guns on a couple of the stages. Some of the best advice I ever received was from one of them, who told me to attend 2-3 matches, see what I like, and then make a decision regarding what to get.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all,

I have a Savage BTVSS heavy barrel and an A22 (sporter barrel) - one bolt and one semi. I also have a Covenant IV tree scope that is not on a rifle right now. I am thinking I could set one of these up and give it a shot.

anyone shooting a sporter barrel in these or mostly heavy barrels?

Yes, I am looking to do this for fun, anything else is just a bonus.

I mostly shoot from a bench these days and enjoy putting small groups together, still in fair shape for a 60+ guy, but not quite as agile or competitive as I used to be, thought maybe this would be a fun way to shake off the pandemic cobwebs :)

Dave

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would throw the scope on the BTVSS and go shoot a match. Most use heavier barrels but with a .22 a lighter barrel won't cause issues. More about weight as a heavier rifle settles in better and moves less when in positions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
anyone shooting a sporter barrel in these or mostly heavy barrels?
I've shot both, trying to figure out which of my rifles suit me best in the matches (CZ 452, and two different 455s). I settled on the varmint barreled 455, but mostly because that one had a pistol grip stock that was more comfortable for me. I don't feel like the barrel made a difference, but it could have been my inexperience hiding the advantage of the heavier barrel.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My recommendation:

*Do not buy anything for at least two matches. Bring what you got or bring nothing. Talk to others, ask questions, and take them up on their offer to handle or even shoot their rig (offer to pay for any ammo you use).

*Do not get hung up on base vs. open class. If you already have stuff that fits in base class, great! If not, do not deliberately purchase a rifle or scope just to stay in base. Getting a rifle that fits well and optics in your budget should a big motive, not compromising or missing a good deal to stay base. Great scopes can be had on sale or used.

*Do not go and buy a bunch of support bags. It is common to buy a bunch of various bags, pillows, fortune cookies, etc, lug them around for a year or so, only to simplify to one or two bags.

*Stretch and practice getting into strange positions. It doesn't matter that your $6k can shoot gnats at 400m if you can't settle in, on, or around the prop/barrier.

Did I do any of this? Nope. I spent the better part of a 6 month Covid break spec'ing out a budget-busting rifle, a bunch of bags and gear and my first match was a big NRL22X event nine hour drive away.
Did I have a blast? Heck yeah! Do I recommend anyone do that? Heck no!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts