Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

NRA Convention

785 Views 27 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  slumlord44
My wife and I are in St. Louis for the weekend and attended the NRA Convention yesterday. As usual we stopped by the Mossberg booth to say "Hey" to Vic and Cheryl Havlin. We spoke with one of the attendants and were told that they apparently didn't come this year. So obviously we missed one of our high points of the show.

I don't think that the exhibit hall was any smaller than previous years, but we made it through the show in record time. Got to speak with a bunch of interesting people and picked up a bunch of reading material I'll have to sort through over the next week or two.

Today we're off to tour St. Louis and then tomorrow it's on the road again for home (about 6 1/2 hours driving). I doubt we'll make it to Houston next year.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,594 Posts
I won't attend NRA Conventions because they so offend book at venues not allowing concealed carry. Gotta practice what you preach.
Is it their rule or state/local law. In MI you can't carry in arenas stadiums, theaters. If you go to Detroit to a baseball, hockey, or foodball game you have to leave your piece in the car. And, they complain about the guns on the street while you have to leave yours in the car for every lowlife to help themselves to. I understand your point. If my gun isn't welcome, then I am not welcome wither I am carrying or not

· Registered
654 Posts
Is it their rule or state/local law. In MI you can't carry in arenas stadiums, theaters. If you go to Detroit to a baseball, hockey, or foodball game you have to leave your piece in the car. And, they complain about the guns on the street while you have to leave yours in the car for every lowlife to help themselves to. I understand your point. If my gun isn't welcome, then I am not welcome wither I am carrying or not
NRA selects the venue WELL in advance. Matters not if it is an NRA rule, a venue rule, a local ordinance, or a state law. NRA chooses the venue and must stick to its guns. After nearly 30 years, I've about had it with that organization.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I completely understand the cause(s) and am a member, but I definitely don't agree with everything they do. Too much fundraising and a few responses that just seem like overkill.
If the show is in Houston next year, I guess that means a few of my best relatives will be coming to see me :D We'll see you there!

BTW, I unknowingly spoke with Vic and Cheryl the last time the convention was here. It was one of those "Oh, Duh!" moments when I realized it. It was pretty cool meeting Ted Nugent though!

· Registered
3,586 Posts
NRA selects the venue WELL in advance. Matters not if it is an NRA rule, a venue rule, a local ordinance, or a state law. NRA chooses the venue and must stick to its guns. After nearly 30 years, I've about had it with that organization.
Aggee or do not aggree but there is no other organization that even comes close to the NRA. Who would you possibly turn to? Life Member here and proud of it.
I also have and believe in the right to carry but gez wiz there are places there is no need to and the NRA Convention would be one. This will probaly upset someone but we should be able to agree to disagree on topics.

Frank

· Premium Member
24,485 Posts
Aggee or do not aggree but there is no other organization that even comes close to the NRA. Who would you possibly turn to? Life Member here and proud of it.
I also have and believe in the right to carry but gez wiz there are places there is no need to and the NRA Convention would be one. This will probaly upset someone but we should be able to agree to disagree on topics.

Frank
:yeahthat:

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
:yeahthat:
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

I can take the heat, I really don't care. But I definitely have to agree with Frank as well. Having a carry permit is not a carte blanche to pack anywhere you want to.

And far as the NRA is concerned, it's no different than any organization, business, or church for that matter. You are not going to agree with all of their policies. They're walking a thin line. They are fighting for sensible gun rights, not our desire to own anything we want. It's all about compromise. It's very similar to voting for a candidate because he, or she, is firm on certain platforms that are important to you, but softer on other issues. You have to decide what you can live with and without.

· Registered
654 Posts
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

I can take the heat, I really don't care. But I definitely have to agree with Frank as well. Having a carry permit is not a carte blanche to pack anywhere you want to.

And far as the NRA is concerned, it's no different than any organization, business, or church for that matter. You are not going to agree with all of their policies. They're walking a thin line. They are fighting for sensible gun rights, not our desire to own anything we want. It's all about compromise. It's very similar to voting for a candidate because he, or she, is firm on certain platforms that are important to you, but softer on other issues. You have to decide what you can live with and without.
Just fight for rights. Adding qualifiers such as as "sensible" to rights is extremely dangerous. Who defines the qualifiers?

What if bans of autoloading rifles were deemed sensible? Such is not far flung.

· Premium Member
2,243 Posts
My wife and I are in St. Louis for the weekend and attended the NRA Convention yesterday. As usual we stopped by the Mossberg booth to say "Hey" to Vic and Cheryl Havlin. We spoke with one of the attendants and were told that they apparently didn't come this year. So obviously we missed one of our high points of the show.

I don't think that the exhibit hall was any smaller than previous years, but we made it through the show in record time. Got to speak with a bunch of interesting people and picked up a bunch of reading material I'll have to sort through over the next week or two.

Today we're off to tour St. Louis and then tomorrow it's on the road again for home (about 6 1/2 hours driving). I doubt we'll make it to Houston next year.
Glad you had a great time at the convention, Gabby. Wished I could have been there. Regards, Rick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.