Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Not sure what to do

448 3
Hi all,

I recently sanded down my factory stock for refinishing and left it sit for a couple weeks. Now some strange oil seems to be seeping out from around the pistol grip area up towards the rear of the reciever inletting. It smells a bit like WD-40. I haven't used any oil around this stock since stripping and sanding. Should i be concerned since i plan to keep the stock in it's "blonde" state and clear coat only?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Someone has used way too much oil when cleaning and maintaining the gun. The oil will do damage to the wood. You will need to remove as much oil from the stock as you can. Warm the stock with a blow dryer and wipe off the oil. IIRC you can get a product called whitting that will draw out the oil. You can look on www.shotgunworld.com under gunsmithing and restorations lots of info on refinishing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not finding much help at shotgunworld.com. One interesting i did find was to give the stock a soak in a bath of Tide laundry detergent changing the solution frequently and letting it air dry a couple days. anybody think this is a good or bad idea??

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I refinished a WW-2 enfield that was soaked with oil.I tried everything but wound up soaking it in lacquer thinner.I made a frame out of 2x4s and lined it with polyurathane then poured in the thinner and soaked it for a couple hours took it out wiped it down and did it again. After about 10 dips I got all the 50 yrs. of oil out and it refinished very nice.This might be a little much but once that oil soaks that deep I had no choice.Don't forget gloves and outside only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.