Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is something you don't see very often.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282172245

The maroon box with "Browning" embossed on the top. It is my understanding these boxes were used to ship the Belgium .22 LR and other pistols from FN in Belgium to Browning in the U. S. When Browning received the pistol in the box, the box was tossed and not very many show up today.

Ephemera - Something that lasts a short time, i.e. The box it came in.

There should be an hand written serial number on the back of the box that matches the one on the gun.

I have a Browning maroon shipping box that measures 11 1/2 X 5 1/8 X 1 13/16 inches. It has a Nomad serial number on the back. A nomad with 6 3/4 barrel fits snug. A Belgium Challenger (1967) with 6 3//4 inch barrel will not fit to either length, width or height because of the flare at the bottom of the wood grips. A BCA news letter cites measurements for other boxes as 12 X 5 1/4 X 2 where a Challenger may fit.

FN may have shipped Nomads and/or Challengers sans the grips and loose parts and these were shipped in bulk and added after received by Browning in the U. S. I have heard this from a couple of sources and believe it to be correct.

What not to like about the one ofered on GB above. The asking price, even with the owner's manual and the uncommon box.

SO

· Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Back around November there was one on Gunbroker that even came with the currogated shipping box stamped with Browning and St. Louis, Mo on the outside. It was on there for about a month with a buy it now at $900 and then someone bought it. I believe the seller was Fugate Firearms out of Kentucky. If I remember right it was a '74 build. I thought about buying it as an investment but then I "invested" in some pistols that I could shoot LOL. :D

· Registered
130 Posts
Here is something you don't see very often.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282172245
- - - Snip - - - What not to like about the one ofered on GB above. The asking price, even with the owner's manual and the uncommon box.
Yes, i agree. It's in beautiful condition but, $900??? That's in ,or, I should I say WAS, in the Medalist price range. The prices on the Belgium Brownings, just in the last several months, appear to me to be going through the roof. :confused: :confused:

Take a look at the current asking prices of the Medalists. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.