Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Norinco copy of Browning 22 Auto questions

829 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  j.r. guerra in s. texas
Today I bought a Norinco copy of the Browning 22 Auto for $140. I had been looking at the little Brownings, and when this rifle popped up, I couldn't help myself. I trusted the Norinco name because of my experience with their 1911s. Sadly to say, once at the range, I had problems getting that first round to feed. I tried it with the rifle right side up and upside down. Once it was in the chamber, and the rifle was feeding on it's own I had no problems. The rifle was surprisingly accurate. I like it, but I just need to figure out how to get that first round to feed! Is there a trick to this?
Are there any links to a takedown guide for this rifle or the Browning version? Any troubleshooting links? Oh, and did I do OK on the price?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
558 Posts
I like cheap underwear but

I just can not see myself buying guns or ammo from the ChiCom. Anyone remember the series of events in South East Asia duting the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s.

Yeah, inexpensive. Made by prisoners no doubt.

Best regards,
chalmitch

· Registered
4,871 Posts
There not bad little rifles, Ive owned a couple over the years. They are not as refined and polished inside like a Browning. You can take them apart and do the polishing yourself, or get a bunch of HV ammo and start shooting :AR15firin these problems should fix themselves after a few hundred rounds.

· Registered
651 Posts
XB,
Regarding the price I saw one at a local shop on Saturday marked at $150.00. It was very close to new ,looked unfired. Nice handling TD rifle. I still may go back for it.
Do you know when these were last imported? I too have always had great luck with Norinco products.Solid ,well built products unlike a lot of other junk out there.
Did you buy yours in China or used in the USA? :D
Jim

· Registered
906 Posts
Tilton Hilton said:
Fullchoke,
What Model Designation did Browning's rifle go by?
Jim
I could be mistaken, but I believe it was known as the Browning ATD-22.
ATD designating "Automatic Take Down".

I sold quite a few of the Norinco version in my shop days, and was always amazed at how accurate the little buggers were, and how well the finish was done. Rough on the inside, but nice everywhere else. :t

FWIW ;) - Dakotan

· Registered
651 Posts
Dakotan and Pdwight,
Nice to hear the good reviews on the Norinco version. At first a was disappointed in that all the past comments seem to indicate they were inaccurate and jamomatics.
Can a scope be mounted to the Norinco version without any Smithing?
Thanks, Jim

· Registered
13,240 Posts
I also have one of these rifles, but have not shot it that much. The take-down feature is very nice - makes it easy to stash it in your pack when you carry another long arm. I think I paid' $80 at 'Monkey Wards' back in mid' 90 - its importation was stopped at same time Chinese made ammunition was banned for sale in U.S. Too bad - the 1911, ATD and a few other guns made by Norinco were not a bad value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.