Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new barrel for my gun but I am trying to figure is .920 the standard OD for 10/22 barrels or is that bigger? All the barrels I have found seem to have that OD and I dont want to order something thats too big by mistake. I also ordered a Hogue replacement stock but I dont think that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Welcome to RFC!

To answer your question:

.920" is not the size of the standard factory 10/22 carbine barrel.

The Ruger factory barrel is a thin tapered barrel. You will see stocks made for it noted by "factory barrel contour" This barrel is much thinner than .920".

The .920" barrel is what's commonly called a "bull barrel". This has become the standard size of aftermarket match barrels. Stocks made for these will always have wording like ".920 barrel channel".

A few manufacturers are making "mid-weight" barrels (Clark Custom is one.) These barrels are in the .720" range . . . a little larger than factory contour, but a little smaller than .920".

The Hogue stock you mentioned is made in two styles: factory contour and .920 barrel contour. The seller should let you know which you bought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just told the guy at the store where I purchased the rifle that I wanted to order a hogue replacement stock. Im assuming he is ordering the one with the factory contours? Would it be a better idea for me to get one to fit the .920 since I plan on upgrading the barrel?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Shrtbordr said:
Would it be a better idea for me to get one to fit the .920 since I plan on upgrading the barrel?
.920 barrels are called "bull barrels"... they shoot alot better then your original "sporter barrel", and is a must do!!! that and a weaponkraft bolt buffer 5$ and a trigger kit ... do alot of reading on this forum,and you will learn everything there is to know about your rifle/carbine.... but beware.... its highly addictive....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Shrtbordr said:
I just told the guy at the store where I purchased the rifle that I wanted to order a hogue replacement stock. Im assuming he is ordering the one with the factory contours? Would it be a better idea for me to get one to fit the .920 since I plan on upgrading the barrel?
Yes.

As you start looking at 0.920 diam barrels, note that they can be constructed from various materials (steel, aluminum and carbon fiber), and come in different lengths. All of these factors impact weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.