Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

No More Widener's Brno #1 Rifles?

567 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  doubs43
I just checked Widener's web site and they no longer show the #1 Brno rifles. I had my name on their list to be notified when they got more in but it looks like the supply may have dried up.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
What condition were these number ones? If you want a couple of shooters, I might be able to point you to them.....
Ah, there will always be some Model 1s for sale somewhere. Patience will be rewarded. If cared for, these rifles will outlast 2-3 generations of owners, so all you have to do is keep looking. :)

· Registered
3,460 Posts
doubs,
Hit as many of the local gun shows, large or small as possible. I picked up my last two from 80 to 100 table shows as opposed to exhausted with no bargains at the 4,800 table Tulsa show. Good idea not to pass on a 90% + metal and decent wood for under $350. If you've never sat behind a #1, you're in for a treat.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
What condition were these number ones? If you want a couple of shooters, I might be able to point you to them.....
The Widners guns were of various conditions. I saw some with really terrible wood and some with wood about on par with the CAI guns from a few years back.
I turned a buddy of mine on to one of the Widners guns and he was lucky enough to get one in pretty decent condition. The stock cleaned up really nicely.

· Registered
3,721 Posts
Just to see if the ones I know of are priced right....
The first batch were about $250 with shipping and were complete rifles minus the front hood. The second batch I think were $210 and were missing swivels and i think were rougher overall.

The one I got from Wideners first batch was OK. Metal was good, stock was solid with a repair at the toe. I sold it for what i paid...it was worth that.

If you are looking for a price comparison, these "trainers" should not be compared to a commercially made/sold Model 1, which I consider to be worth significantly more. Especially so, if the condition is very good, which is pretty common to see...meaning for the most part they were well taken care of rifles, as opposed to the trainers which a lot of them were rode hard and put away wet.

DW

· Registered
479 Posts
I got 3 for $209 each with the worse condition metal and stocks....

I put the best wood on the best gun overall with good metal, good bore, nice bolt, etc.

The other two weren't bad, but, they weren't as nice...

one of the other guns had some exterior rust on the receiver at the stock line, but the bore was good and the bolt was nice and the wood was ok....

the last one was the ugly duckling in the bore department, with some rust down about 6 inches down the muzzle... I was going to return it, but, a buddy of mine wanted one so bad, and he wanted a project gun....

All three guns are shooters and will put 5 shots under a dime at 50 yards....

can't beat that beautiful bolt action on the old BRNO guns!!! So solid!

· Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've posted these before but these groups are typical of what I shoot with my Brno #1 rifle. It wears a 4~12X40 AO Barska Airgun scope. I suspect I could do better with a higher power scope but I don't use it for target shooting except on occasion. I shot these at 50 yards with Fiocchi FLRN cartridges... 40 grain standard velocity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.