Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nikon Question

920 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  sub10/22
Would the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 do well at shorter distances considering it has an adjustable objective? I guess my real question is how far does the parallax adjustment go down to? I was set on ordering the 3-9x40, but without an AO, I know it would be a problem so I switched to the Weaver Rimfire 3-9x32 but I can go to the higher powered Nikon for a small difference in price from the Weaver if it will work well at the shorter distances as well.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Chunckchucker said:
The Buckmasters with AO will only go down to 50 yards. They will turn a bit past that, but not too far.

Chunckchucker
I'm curious if the side focus goes down any further? I had thought about a 6X18 for my 17HMR but my cheap (read low cost) side came out. I didn't even think to look when I had my hands on one the other weekend at Cabela's. But of course for a 17 I wouldn't think of going under 50 yards anyway ..... at least for target shooting.

Dave Z.

· Registered
540 Posts
Here are the specs I read on the 4.5-14x40 side focus. Parallax is set at 100.

Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope

Specifications
Weight (oz): 17.6
Mil-Dot

Length (in): 14.4
Exit Pupil (mm): 8.9 - 2.9
Eye Relief (in): 3.7 - 3.6
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 19.9 - 6.8
MOA: 1/4
Parallax Setting (yds): 100

· Vendor
685 Posts
The Buckmater 4.5-14x40 has a minimum adjustment of 50 yards, but you can go slightly past it. Aflter looking at Logic's information and the parallax was incorrect, it maybe wonder if our information was incorrect. So I went an look and it is wrong. Fixing it right now. The parallax is 50 yards to infinity.

· Vendor
685 Posts
The reason why I had it incorrect is I took all of the information directly from Nikons catalog and they had the information incorrect also and I guess that I did not even notice. I should have since a side parallax adjustment scope is not going to have a fixed parallax distance. :p

· Registered
19 Posts
I bought one of the new side focus Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 for my Dad who mounted it on a Savage 93r17 sporter specifically for hunting. He really likes it, but honestly he has only sighted it in and done some target shooting so far. We are setting this gun up as a light carry squirrel and varmint hunter.

I have looked through the scope and I liked it as well. The crosshair looks as good as my Leupold VX-III, and the side focus is easier to use than trying to reach up to the objective to focus. The Nikon is a very nice looking scope as well. The side focus is easy to turn and not tight as some others have observed.

He said his groups have tightened up nicely, but I have not seen a target that he has shot with it yet. (He did have a cheap 3x9 Simmons on the rifle and was not getting it to group up).

So bottom line is I'm happy so far with this scope for a hunter at this point.

Regie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.